Cryogenic treatments.

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
wistech

Cryogenic treatments.

#1 Post by wistech »

Anyone ever though about having their cams treated in this way. I talked to a local shop and they said they could resurface a bunch of my stock cams with one worn lobe and he also suggested getting this done as well. Anyone want to send a cam in for the process and testing. Since I only have a few of the precious fx400 cams left I will have them done for extra insurance. I will do the buckets as well.
I guess this is common practice with the nascar guys.

patmc81

#2 Post by patmc81 »

Isn't that what they do when you die?
like walt disney:D

RoooStEr Pops

#3 Post by RoooStEr Pops »

what's it going to run in cost ?

azcannon

#4 Post by azcannon »

We used to do that a lot on our streetbike sprockets ( aluminum ) for the gsxr1000's and busa's it made them last a lot longer

mmitteer

#5 Post by mmitteer »

It shouldn't be very expensive. Rifle barrels cost between $40 and $50.

Matt

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

I think he said they charge by the pound . If it works as good as they say Im dropping my whole engine in the freezer. Any body have any connections for a good deal?

comander420

#7 Post by comander420 »

here is a link for a place not too far from where I live http://www.300below.com/site/home.html . There is an intern where I work who used to have his 25hp 5 horse briggs and stratton dipped there. Said it wasn't too expensive and they got an extra 1-2 hp out of it and everything held up longer. I've thought about getting the crank, head etc done on my next build. Let me know if you find out what it costs. Would you have to remove all the rubber and plastic seals to get a whole engine dipped?

claas900

#8 Post by claas900 »

Originally posted by azcannon
We used to do that a lot on our streetbike sprockets ( aluminum ) for the gsxr1000's and busa's it made them last a lot longer

..Hmm I have a set of aluminum plates for the clutch,I wonder if this would work to make them last loner?

timbomoose

#9 Post by timbomoose »

Place where I get my heatreating done does it.Along with the heatreat process have been getting my crank pins cryo'd with great results.Will take some new cams and buckets down and get cryoed to see what happens.Animalscannibal is going to test a set too.Tore my one engine down and have all 4 lobes worn again,but was the longest cams lasted for me.Also piston needs tossed and replaced along with the buckets and the decomp was excessively lose.Before reassembling will have some sort of inpection window put on valve cover before reinstalling so won't have to drop motor to periodically inspect.Will post pics on what I come up with.

claas900

#10 Post by claas900 »

..Hey Tim Patrick in Ca. About your cams grinding down,were they new ones or something else?..My bros 448 lost a set also,about 4 tanks of gas threw it cams were used with new buckets...so now put in new ones with buckets been only ran a tank or so..time will tell...What do you think is going on with theses cams?

..ill try to give you a call in the next few days..