Valve Bucket polishing tool

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
azcannon

Valve Bucket polishing tool

#1 Post by azcannon »

Hey I have been beating my head against a wall trying to figure out how to get the valve buckets to slide smoother in the head ad I already shim all the springs in my head and have been polishing the slides with a dremel and polishing compound but I have made a 10 dollar tool that worked amazing and really made a Difference...... 3/4" pvc with a wrap or two of tape and half a piece of DA sandpaper ( adhesive backing ) I just insert and spin and change paper started with 220 then 500 and it made the exhaust buckets slide smooth and only takes off the high spots and WOW what a good feeling when putting a cannondale head together. Goes perfectly around the guide and leaves it looking beautiful. Maybe you have all been doing this all along but this is my first time and what a relief to find a easy way to tune these up.

iceracer17

#2 Post by iceracer17 »

great idea,i'll be trying it out soon!

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

I just try to touch area that is sticking.Otherwise Timbo gets the job.Its a good idea you have there but the tolerances manual calls for cant be held in such a manner

azcannon

#4 Post by azcannon »

A new bucket for me is a pretty good indicator or clearance, I can almost guess at things like crank endplay and have a couple of dial indicators to back that up , I just can't accept a tight bucket on teh exhaust side after replacing a head from a broke valve and I know it will get shot down but that is my reason for increased cam wear that and oiling issues. I will run this motor for twenty hours and check it

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Stay tuned to this subject.I may have been wrong in advising against doing this.

Exodus

#6 Post by Exodus »

Thats a tight fit. What causes the buckets to stick in the frist place? Lack of oil, overheating?

Exodus

#7 Post by Exodus »

Would it be possible to put a steel liner in around the bucket to keep it matched without worry?

iceracer17

#8 Post by iceracer17 »

I would say it's from both.From the expansion of the aluminum which causes too tight of a tolerance for the oil to get down.Just my .02 though.

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes not sure what is going on there.May just be a case of to tight of tolerance right from factory.Thing is the aluminum does get bigger faster than bucket when hot.Maybe not soon enough though.

Hacksaw830

#10 Post by Hacksaw830 »

Just wondering how your PVC pipe with sandpaper worked out on the valve buckets? Ive got a low hour engine torn down and the exhaust buckets are sticking. I would love to send it to Timbo but I would like to get this thing back together in the next week or two.