SKF crank bearings.

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
wistech

#21 Post by wistech »

No thats not cold . When the moto broke through the ice and was submerged to the gas cap with me in with it....THAT WAS COLD.

cannondale27

#22 Post by cannondale27 »

Great info!Nice pic Wistech:D

wistech

#23 Post by wistech »

Whoa finnaly found this thread again. Ive been doing some reasearch on cage material for bearings and I might have found a possible reason for why the black plastic cages were melting while the rollers were still intact. It seems use of an extreme pressure lubricant lowers the operating temps that a plastic cage can run it. Possibly as low as 215 degrees. A partial blocked radiator or siezed cooling fan could easily make this happen. There are a few types of plastic cages made for just this issue . The name of it is PEEK.
http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/product...;newlink=1_0_59
Ive been running Mobil 1 pretty much exlusively in the engine and Transynd in the tranny for many years with no issues on plastic parts. The skf bearings have also proven themselves . I wonder if the EP gear lube in the transmision can be atributed for cam chain guide wear I see in some engines I get in. The black plastic does look similar to the stock bearing cages?

Dachshund

#24 Post by Dachshund »

Are you saying you are getting motors in that have EP gear lube in them? The manual specifically says: "do not use hypoid gear oils". huh.gif