SKF crank bearings.

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
wistech

SKF crank bearings.

#1 Post by wistech »

I have seen a couple failures of the plastic cage on the stock roller bearings and sinceJanuary 05 I have been experimenting with the SKF NJ 205 ECP/C3 bearing on the flywheel side. So far no problem with the few installed. They have a nylon cage instead of plastic and are the tighter c3 specs than the stock c4. I have not used the skf for the drive side yet. This bearing costs about double what the stocker is.
When you order crank bearings be absolutely sure you get the correct inner race with the shoulder on one side.
If anyone has tried these please chime in on your experience.

haydug

#2 Post by haydug »

I had looked into a bearing with a metal cage, but after no interest, I let it die away.

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

Well you know how touchy all the fx400 guys are after the brass caged bearing dilema. And then the burn from the Diamond ball bearings. What type of metal were you looking at?
Heres the difference between the two cages.
Several of the ones Ive seen had the separators just wear away leaving only the sides of the cage. The rollers and races were still intact with no wear at all. Just a hint of radial play in the crank and a bunch of plastic in the filters.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Only thing I worry about is the tighter fit of c3 not sure if looser fit of stockers is there for case flex and other variances.There also must be a reason the brass caged bearings failed.Failures I saw were cage breaking apart first.Whether that was because of load,flex or maybe just the bearing bores (flywheel and timingchain side)not being lined up is something only the factory guys would know.Would think plastic cage would be more forgiving if that were the case.But unless those guys tell us both these bearings would be worth try.
Haydug I am putting together that bike motor I would give those metal cages a try.

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

Good questions. If I had to guess I would say some bean counter in acounting told them to use the c4 bearings because they were 3 cents cheaper thn the c4's. I figured Id run a couple for a year before throwing these out there.

GDITheman

#6 Post by GDITheman »

wow,

you guys are really dedicated to cannondale survival. i wish we would see a conndale (or ATK) revival. i appreciate it. i was just thinking this morning about how much R&D has been done by GDI (god **** indepent) parties and not big corps. i wish i had an extra engine to tinker with and do r&d with. then i would feel like i'm contributing too.

thanks

mike justice

crank bearings

#7 Post by mike justice »

I have been running NSK ball bearings with steel cage for 2 years,no failure,orginal roller bearing lasted 25 hours,inner race on flywheel side failed.I had lots of other problems,but no more main bearing failure.I had big end rod bearing go out,but crank bearings survived.

mike justice

#8 Post by mike justice »

I forgot to say, C3 fit

cannondale27

Re: crank bearings

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Originally posted by mike justice
I have been running NSK ball bearings with steel cage for 2 years,no failure,orginal roller bearing lasted 25 hours,inner race on flywheel side failed.I had lots of other problems,but no more main bearing failure.I had big end rod bearing go out,but crank bearings survived.

Great info!Dont want to make this a bigger issue than it really is.Just discussing.But there is a good possibility that the ballbearings are a very good option.Could be reason alot failed or were sloppy fast was just because the QUALITY of the ones Winky supplied was very low.

fig

#10 Post by fig »

Did you know the Huskys run this bearing (SKF NJ 205 ECP/C3 ?

http://www.husaberg.org/modules.php?name=F...viewtopic&t=881