Cwr Cams

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
Exodus

#91 Post by Exodus »

Thats pretty sweet Wistech. Never thought I would see a clear cam cover.

cannondale27

#92 Post by cannondale27 »

:clap: That is awesome!

GDITheman

#93 Post by GDITheman »

looks sick, man. new school bling. like the lexan engine hatch on a ferarri.

Happyboy

Re: Easy view cam covers ...check

#94 Post by Happyboy »

Originally posted by wistech
Just need a new  cam to watch.  

Ask and you shall receive. smile.gif Greg had a simple idea that I could shoot myself for not seeing. Kibble outter, stock inner. I went and tested the setup today and the numbers come out very close to stock spec so thats what we are going to test his cam with. Funny thing is though I tested this setup with a used set of springs and it was a little low on the #s so I added a .030" shim and blam! Right to spec with 0 worry about coil bind. The inner spring also doesn't rub the outter anymore so no worry on the twisting and hopefully no more leaning springs.

John the cam will be heading up your way with a set of springs to run with them.

Something that is happening with these motors is most of the parts that are going in now need to be measured every time. Some new springs are weak and they can lead to floating valves. Some are good so you don't want to shim them if you don't have to. So, you gotta measure them and see where they are at and shim accordingly. valve springs, cranks, decomps...they all need to be custom fit to work properly.

Smitty911

I would hope...

#95 Post by Smitty911 »

Happy,

With ANY motor: most builders will check and than a double check to ensure little things like Valve Lash, End Play, Ring Gap, etc. etc. are in spec before shipping a motor back to clients.

I would hope that any builder on these forums paid a little attention to the details for the cost of building one.

Smitty

cannondale27

#96 Post by cannondale27 »

What about stock spring outer and inner with shim?Why buy the kibblewhite spring if its not needed?Kibblewhite did make springs,valves and seats for our dales at one time so maybe the shotpeened stockers are them?
Happyboy did you see the specs I listed for FX cams?Found them recently.It was the intake cam that was higher lift not exhaust.Not what is needed for ported motors but also could save some some money if just exhaust cam is needed.

cannondale27

Re: I would hope...

#97 Post by cannondale27 »

Originally posted by Smitty911
Happy,

With ANY motor: most builders will check and than a double check to ensure little things like Valve Lash, End Play, Ring Gap, etc. etc. are in spec before shipping a motor back to clients.

I would hope that any builder on these forums paid a little attention to the details for the cost of building one.

Smitty

I think what Happy is suggesting is that these things he listed must be expected to wear out.Builders cant see them till motor is on the bench.Also you cant trust the replacement parts.That isnt normal.

Happyboy

#98 Post by Happyboy »

The back yard mechanic will normall just throw the pieces together and expect them to fit and run fine. Not the case. Just listed a few items that people need to look at if they are doing their own work.

27, reason for the different spring setup is with the hotter cams we are coming very close to coil bind. You are supposed to keep like .100 clearance with a spring setup running these kind of RPMS. The stock spring setup was found to have ~.040 clearance before coil bind. The stock outer spring has more winds in it that leads to less clearance versus the kibblewhite.

cannondale27

#99 Post by cannondale27 »

Makes sense but dont forget there are more than one type of stock springs out there.You sure .100 is mandatory?I thought I read .030?

Happyboy

#100 Post by Happyboy »

Originally posted by cannondale27
Makes sense but dont forget there are more than one type of stock springs out there.You sure .100 is mandatory?I thought I read .030?
Thats why I said the springs need to be measured to see if they need to be shimmed and by how much. And I don't KNOW how much is needed clearance wise. I read that you should have a minimum .010 between all the spring winds but that isn't valid since our springs are variable rate. In talking with a number of springs people I got the impression .060 would be bare stinking minimum they would be run at and .100 would be fantastic. That is the clearance +/- with the stock setup. Since there is noone around here that is an expert its hard to say what is right or wrong. Greg agreed that .040 is not enough clearance which is why we tested other combos to come up with a setup that is as close to stock as possible without the risk of coil bind. This way we can test his cam under great conditions and see the wear on it. We can then say whether or not it was spring pressure or bad hardening with the cams.