Valve Springs

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

Valve Springs

#1 Post by cannondale27 »

Some are working on getting Valvesprings again.Class900 put me in contact with RD valvespring and a head with everytype of cam, valve,spring and buckets etc will be on its way tomorrow.Should have his answer by dealer show when we will meet him.

This isnt good enough.Need to keep looking and get the best po.I feel Kibblewhite has been given a bad name when they werent involved in spring selection.There are others out there.All need to be contacted.No need to give them any answers.Just our problems.If they are good they will come up with answers.The more experts involved the better.Please anyone who has the time do a google search and pick up the phone.Remember it is thier job to give us a good product to best of thier ability which is what we pay for.Look for enthusiasm and if you can find one who like Cannondales or better yet owns one is a big plus.

Here is another one.Check out thier testing methods and cool test video.Any volunteers to get these guys to make and test for us?
http://www.racingsprings.com/capabilities.htm

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Here it goes.Dont plan on telling him much just showing him examples of what we have and what has failed.Hope others join in and contact other companies for springs,cams and valve combos.

Happyboy

#3 Post by Happyboy »

:clap: Are you sending any cams for him to look at and get hardness on?

claas900

#4 Post by claas900 »

..Looks good..cant wait to hear the out come.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes cams also.Wistechs stash of shame.No good ones though.Tim tested hardness.Also I believe specs for predator were posted by someone need 60-65Rockwell.I wont run a cam unless its proven to me they meet that spec.So probably one will have to be destroyed every once in awhile for rockwell testing.Want to let this place run with it.They will get paid so they should do the work.Right?

claas900

#6 Post by claas900 »

..You know when I talked to Donn he sounded like it was something he really wanted to do. I thought he offered Ti buckets? But maybe I??????????????????m thinking of another sight? I??????????????????ve be looking a lot and tons of reading.
You know cdale used 2 different bucket lengths. I was reading somewhere were they said it was possible to spit out the valve shim. Seems like it would have to flex a lot to do that, or bounce a lot. But that my be the reason for the longer buckets? I don??????????????????t know hard to believe though.

kdeal

#7 Post by kdeal »

Originally posted by claas900
..You know when I talked to Donn he sounded like it was something he really wanted to do. I thought he offered Ti buckets? But maybe I??????????????????m thinking of another sight? I??????????????????ve be looking a lot and tons of reading.
 You know cdale used 2 different bucket lengths. I was reading somewhere were they said  it was possible to spit out the valve shim. Seems like it would have to flex a lot to do that, or bounce a lot. But that my be the reason for the longer buckets? I don??????????????????t know hard to believe though.

The valve bucket lengths are not an issue. The ejecting of valve shims is impossible unless you have more clearance than the shim itself. Since stock shims are somewhere between .080 to .120 thousandths. I find it highly unlikely that is happening. Then the bucket would have to come up even further to allow the shim to escape....... Please do not throw another variable in the way of progress (Titanium buckets), as this would only add more variables and a lot more cost. Let's get these things even more reliable then worry about souping them up even further. R&D is a very good company and the results should be very interesting.

Steve, I will see you at Indy. Try and bring the Dyno King with you...

smile.gif

claas900

#8 Post by claas900 »

.. Your right the shim could only come out if the clearance is greater then the shim thickness. But with valve float anything is possible. Buy no means am I saying a longer bucket is a must have but in the other hand why did they go with them?. Then again why did they do a lot of things..lol..The reason I brought up Ti buckets is for weight. Going from a short bucket to long one is enough weight to make a different with valve float.
I know Ti is expicive but if I was told I could just swap out buckets with Ti ones and not have valve float id do it in a heart beat, over pulling the head and swapping springs.

timbomoose

#9 Post by timbomoose »

Nice work.Let me know if you need any stock springs,cams ,heads,retainers or anything should have a few of each kind.Let me know if you guys need anything.

Smitty911

I thought.....

#10 Post by Smitty911 »

I thought that metals can be re-heat treted. I used to work for a company that did all sorts work on metal. Even had an SEM for failure analizes.

I guess I'll call the metalurgist (sp) in the morning.

Smitty