LT front end

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
PerryMMS

LT front end

#1 Post by PerryMMS »

Hey guys I own a custom chassis shop and I am looking into setting up to do some LT arms, along with some longer swingers and stems. I am new to the Dale, so I though I would ask and see what yall might be wanting. I know that there has been problems with the ball joints. What els should I know other then that for MX they need to be +3? What about you woods guys what would yall like to see a +1? As for the rear. What would yall like to see, a +1 or would you sand guys like a +6 or something like that?

Any input would be great. Also I would like to say if it looks as if I will be able to get some sales from this I would like to become a site sponsor.

Thanks again yall for any input.

RoooStEr Pops

#2 Post by RoooStEr Pops »

I would like to see a -1 or -2 swing arm. need one for tt

kdeal

#3 Post by kdeal »

Perry,

First :welcome: to the site. The biggest gripe seems to be the lack of an available +1" LT a-arm for the Cannondale. Houser made them at one point and they no longer make them now. The other size would definitely be a +3" LT for the MX crowd. As so much as swingarms are concerned the longer ones (+5") for dragging & sand duning are getting some attention. The stems would always be welcome in a stock & +1" size. I would advise to have the stock steering damper mount on any stems produced. If you are interested in doing some custom one off work I may be interested. As so much as a group thing please contact user "Haydug" for any rules or restrictions for selling on the site. He's pretty reasonable and I am sure something can be worked out.
Again welcome.

Exodus

#4 Post by Exodus »

I'd love to see some new arms. Not to scare you off though, your stepping into a pretty competetive market biulding for a Cannodale crowd. Theres two companies that are making arms that are pretty popular. My advice is to first stake a claim on the XC guys, they seem to really want +1 with long travel and both companies havent stepped up yet that I know of anyway. The +2 and +3 MX guys have a bit more to choose from. I run MX almost exclusivly, and would like to see a +2 designed as a TT, MX arm long travel of course. Being that you can change the shock mount location to run the same shocks for TT and MX. I know most run lowering kits or shorter shocks, but I'm cheap and would run the same shocks if I had the means. I would also like to see those arms biult like the Housers or the Diamond Racing arms in style and shape only using square tubing. Something with a gullwing design and the mounts slightly under the arm, or above. Houser and Diamond are good examples of that design. As for swingarms, I want both a +3 for drags and a -1 for TT. But I want a stock looking swingarm, steel doesnt look good on a full aluminum frame, just my opinion. Most will probably disagree with my thoughts on a square tubed front end, but if Haydug is open to you selling on here, I would be happy to buy just a one off set.

iceracer17

#5 Post by iceracer17 »

I'd be interested in +1 LT and +1 stem

Exodus

#6 Post by Exodus »

Oh ya, and hope you become a site sponsor and biuld parts. Every bit of help is appreciated in keeping the legend alive and well. :usa

PerryMMS

#7 Post by PerryMMS »

To start out I would like to say thanks for the input as of far.

I know that I will be doing a +3 for MX as I am a MX rider, or should I say that I try to be. As for the XC arms in a +1 I knew that they were not common. I just did not know how much of a demand there was for them. On the stems I will look at both stock lenght and a +1 and yes they will have a mount for the damper. On the swinger to be honnest I didn't even think about a - 1 for TT I kinda forgot. Also I like the idea on a mount that will change ride hight. I will give that some thought. The design that I am working on for the arms is almost like a inverted gull wing with the shock mount under the arm. That design will yield more ground clearance with no loss of travel. Also I am working out some spacers that will let the arms be adjustable for stock or +1 forward kinda like the Walsh arms. That way the guys that want + forward can have it too.

As soon as I get the final design worked out I will get the jegs built and get some proto types made up for testing. I will keep everyone posted as to any progress made.

Thanks again guys and keep the input comming.

Cdale_racer_669

#8 Post by Cdale_racer_669 »

any ideas on prices?

PerryMMS

#9 Post by PerryMMS »

Sorry not yet. I haven't even got anything off the drawing board yet. I want to keep cost down on these that way I would be able to pass it on to the customer. You know how it goes, cost me less so it cost you less. I am not looking to get rich. I will be able to give a price once I get a proto type built.

Exodus

#10 Post by Exodus »

Have you seen the RXm arms? They are a reverse gull wing style. I can see many advantages to go with that design. They would be stronger becuase the arm has to bend backwards, they have more ground clearance, and give a better ball joint angle so more travel could be accomplished. They would really work well for XC. Hope you get up and running, if you are interested in doing a set of gullwing +2, or +3 long travel in square tube let me know. I would be greatly interested.