Who's in for hardend camshafts?

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
Happyboy

#61 Post by Happyboy »

Dang Wayne. Sorry to hear about the cams John. A pressed on sleeve sounds like a fairly easy route to go though.

wayneschofield

#62 Post by wayneschofield »

I really would just polish and mike the journals to make sure they're on size....

Look at the failed component under a microscope too, that might tell you something...

cannondale27

#63 Post by cannondale27 »

I believe Wayne is correct. Normally Nitriding is a hardening procedure name so because that is the name of the stuff they are packed in during the heat treat. Wistechs cams were heat treated in a salt brine solution. Not sure what thats called. But the black stuff is just a coating maybe of the same name. According to Timbo these cams after treatment were in the 30 Rockwell range. The lobes did survive but bearing surface didn't. Probably need at least 40or more for a needle bearing. If its not one thing its another with cams. Very frustrating.

wayneschofield

#64 Post by wayneschofield »

If you can just hold off a couple of weeks.....

wistech

#65 Post by wistech »

I checked into sleeves but your talking another $30 to 50 each. The bearing route looks a better alternative that machining the cams. Its already used on other quads. None of the cams I am running are showing signs of wear but with this type of issue it will start at a certain point if its going to happen. The process is called melaniting. Its a low temp process I think around a 1000 degrees. The black coating is moly.

timbomoose

#66 Post by timbomoose »

This is Wistech

We pulled the plastic last night to check out the cams. I was relieved to see they have not worn like the untreated prototypes. There is a little moly coating missing from the back side of the lobe but the front ramps are still black. It looks like the cam bearings are doing their job as well. Now I wish I would have installed the new cam bearings in the speed's 460 as well but I think I will run them the rest of the year to see if they do the same thing as the set Tim has.

wistech

#67 Post by wistech »

Here are a set of cams that were rehardened . Not a lot of time on them but interesting to see whats going on. The break in coating has worn away in just a few spots but the lobes are perfect. The bearing journal does not have any signes of brinneling. Perhaps I panicked to quick on the low rockwell tests and the pressure fed bearing might not be needed but I will have to see some more results.

wistech

#68 Post by wistech »

Buckets are perfect with a mirror finish .

wistech

#69 Post by wistech »

Update on the cam project. I will be installing the only living set of CWR high lift cams which are still in perfect condition in combo with a set of Witech high lift exhaust in a 460. After a long discusion with Tim I think we will be going for 109 and 107 cam timing . This will be an attempt at a powerfull midrange and low end . Who knows what the dyno will say with this crazy combo .

I also just pulled an engine down that had an 03 solid lobe intake with a Witech exhaust. The exhaust cams are perfect but both lobes on the intake were starting to eat the bucket and wear the front face of the lobe. They look salvagable but will have to go in for melaniting if they are to be used again. Its the first set I have ever used .LOL Now I know how Tim feels with all his cam problems. wacko.gif

wistech

#70 Post by wistech »

Another update to the project . Here is the high lift cams installed in the moto back at ther begginig of the project from years back. The stock intake cam is still perfect with most all the breakin moly coating still on it. The moly has worn off the high lift exhaust cams on some spots around the tips of the lobes but I am happy to report the cams have zero wear . Buckets I believe are used hyabusa ones which are similar to the fx400 chrome plated ones.

This the first long term test shows that with a melaniting AKA titanium nitriding can give life to rewelded as well as the soft original cams without the need for the costs of special added measures.
Tim has also assured me that these reworked cams cam also be used with buckets coated with diamond like carbon without a compatabilty problem.

I will be sending in a few more cams that I have recently aquired for processing but I dont have the quantity as in the past to keep costs down so they wont be a cheap as before.