Who's in for hardend camshafts?

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
wistech

Who's in for hardend camshafts?

#1 Post by wistech »

Its been dragging on for a couple weeks now because of the backlog but my local shop called and said the first prototype cams were ground and went in for the hardening process yesterday. I should get them back next week.
Again he swears he can get the surface hardness up to 67 rockwell.
If it can be done I will be sending in all my camshafts to be done in a batch. They have a minimum batch charge and also charge by the pound. If anyone wants to join in on a batch to get a price break let me know. I think I will get some hardness checked before and after. Since he cant guarantee a finish date I recomend a set of junk cams to be rebuilt or good spares just to get coated. I dont think you should have your motor sitting waiting for these. Please dont ask for prices since its all up in the air what kind of deal but just like powdercoating shops the more we get in the price will come down substantially.

Their backlog is at least 3 weeks right now which is why it took so long to get the first cams hardwelded and ground to stock specs. If this works it will be a blessing for those of us in need of hard to find mc500 cams or dont want to throw the dice with new oem cams. Hardness checks reveal all.

Sandstorm

#2 Post by Sandstorm »

I was going to get cams made. I don't want to compete w/ anybody and have all my efforts wasted. DAB has no issues getting anything done for our machines.. I can get more aggressive cams made easily in one month locally.. However I won't compete w/ others. It was going to be more of a favor to all so I will not pursue the cams anymore.. No big deal..

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Henry this is just experimental right now.Dont give up on getting cams made just yet.Mostly Wistech is talking getting existing cams coated to prevent wear.Dont know how thats going to work.Might be a waste of time or might work great.

I have one set of good ones to try coating on.So I am in on this.

T-Rex

Coatings

#4 Post by T-Rex »

I think there is a surface harden coating that be applied. We do this treatment on Yamaha Raptor rocker arms to make them live in Craycrafts 9800rpm 730 Raptors.

T-Rex

#5 Post by T-Rex »

OH, but we first had them cryo treated....

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

The local shop that did my hardness test said that cryo treatments wont increase the hardness. It will increase strength by aligning the grain structure .
Sandstorm by all means pursue cams. We need all the help we can get.
im mostly concerned with getting the stock cams up to specs. If they turn out to hold up then I will have some special grinds made for the high powered engines. probalbly just an exhaust cam.
If all works out then a site sponsor can deal with the service.

Sandstorm

#7 Post by Sandstorm »

Dab can get cams ground to whatever spec we want.. As a matter of fact I'll ask for his input and pass on the info..

T-Rex

#8 Post by T-Rex »

I feel if you large cc engines need more duration on the exhaust side. Quick to open up but slow to close....smile.gif

Smitty911

#9 Post by Smitty911 »

Originally posted by T-Rex
Quick to open up but slow to close....smile.gif

That sounds like some of the mouths that I've been working with smile.gifsmile.gif To bad their brain didn't work like that it??????????????????s Usually the inverse.

Smitty

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

Originally posted by T-Rex
I feel if you large cc engines need more duration on the exhaust side. Quick to open up but slow to close....smile.gif

Theres a lot of work to be done just with cam timing also. I wish there was not so much conflicting info on the net . So far my stock engines had the most power from stock timing and the monsters loved retarded timing. I have yet to try lobe sepation myself.