Who's in for hardend camshafts?

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
claas900

#71 Post by claas900 »

Wistech do we have any hp numbers gained from the high lift cams? I think I still have a hand full of flat cams? LOL.

wistech

#72 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Jul 30 2009, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wistech do we have any hp numbers gained from the high lift cams? I think I still have a hand full of flat cams? LOL.

Those tests were a long time ago. I think it was under a horse except for speeds who's I think was more than that. Acording to the software the high lifts should only be used on the bigger motors.Not for stockers. We have two engines going together this week and both will have high lifts and one an fx400 intake. I should have the first one running in an hour or so.

Happyboy

#73 Post by Happyboy »

Very nice. Glad you remember to update on these things, it was a while back for sure.

wistech

#74 Post by wistech »

About once a year I would pull the plastic and check the cams out through the windows in the valve covers. The only thing that can be made out is if the cams are wasted or not. Kind of nice to finally rip it apart completely to see whats what. Everything in the head is sweet.

wistech

#75 Post by wistech »

I got chance to do a ride at majestic trails in PA this week. The new 460 performs just as awesome as the old one even with the quiet core in. The only issue I ran into is the clear valve covers were ruined by me spraying brake clean on them to clean them when installing them and pretty much ruined the lexan. I had to quick epoxy them and give them the silicone treatment to make the ride date. The only issue was yet another blown tire from sharp rocks.
As far as the engine I have a good feeling about the HP number it will throw down.

wistech

#76 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Jul 30 2009, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is one I managed to find . I thought they were only a horse but this one was 2.67 on the top end. A slight loss in the bottom end was expected so we switched to less retard on the cams by 2 degrees and higer compresion on the stock sized motors. Strokers and 460plus cc engines have an excess of torque so we dont do anything with those.

claas900

#77 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Aug 11 2009, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is one I managed to find . I thought they were only a horse but this one was 2.67 on the top end. A slight loss in the bottom end was expected so we switched to less retard on the cams by 2 degrees and higer compresion on the stock sized motors. Strokers and 460plus cc engines have an excess of torque so we dont do anything with those.

Thanks for the Chart. I'd be willing to guess the gains would be greater on a larger motor? Look what I have looking for a 2nd life laugh.gif

Kuma

#78 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Aug 11 2009, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the Chart. I'd be willing to guess the gains would be greater on a larger motor? Look what I have looking for a 2nd life laugh.gif

That exhaust cam on the far right makes ya wonder how the bike ran long enough to get that flat.

claas900

#79 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (Kuma @ Aug 11 2009, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That exhaust cam on the far right makes ya wonder how the bike ran long enough to get that flat.

Its been so long, but one of those cams are responsible for a dropped valve = junk head junk piston and bent rod.

Trouble

#80 Post by Trouble »

man those are a lot of cam cores,my fx400 still rips so hopefully mine dont get ready for the scrap pile anytime soon,all i can do is use good oil and ride the banshee more often and they should last me a while..lol