Who's in for hardend camshafts?

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

#81 Post by cannondale27 »

If you got a good set of cams and buckets they seem to last forever. Odds are best with the FX400 combo but I have seen the latest 2 holes last just as long without any signs of wear at all. Everything just needs to be right. Sticky bucket, soft buckets, soft cams, broken retainers, wore springs, crummy oil. Any one or a combination can take out a cam in minutes.

wistech

#82 Post by wistech »

Had a chance to get to a new dyno but testing did not go so well. The dyno looked to read about ten horse low so comparison to baseline tests were imposible. A 448 stroker with unnamed pro builder porting put out 32 horse 21 ft lbs of torque . The 460 and 450 stock stroke I ported were at 48 horse and 30 lbs. The 448 will be torn down tonight to see what the issue is. Something was weird because the only quad ever to break 50hp on that dyno was a mega dollar 520 honda . He had a honda vtx right after we were done roll out 56 horse . The afr meter was working and runs were consistant so the tuning good but a waste of time for research. I did find out its time to upgrade to the corvette injectors as I have a lean spot on the top end and no amount of flowrate was helping.

Looks like the pile of cams to go in for nitriding is getting big enough to get the same deal discount as before so if anyone has any especially the crappy late model cams get ahold of me within the next couple of weeks so you dont miss out.

peterock

#83 Post by peterock »

That lean spot may be an issue with your ECU and not the injectors. We had that problem on Roger's quad as it would drop off at 9000 rpm if I remember right. I can't find the post, but it's on here some place.

2000ex

#84 Post by 2000ex »

Do they hardweld our flat cams back to stock or other profile then nitride them? I have a few sets that could use that treatment depending on price.

wistech

#85 Post by wistech »

As of right now I need to get a bunch of new 03 cams nitrided so we can get going on a couple of projects . Im not sticking any more in engines until they are treated. The price for the nitriding in a batch should be less than $20 per cam . Its been several years since I did a reweld of trashed cams but i think the price will be around $100 each but dont take that as a quote. It all depended on quantity .

wistech

#86 Post by wistech »

The date for getting your cams in to me is 9-14-09 .

wistech

#87 Post by wistech »

Degreed to a mild 109.5 intake and 105.5 exhaust . Both high lift exhaust and intake cams installed. The dyno showed a boost in the midrange with a half horse more power and a new record for torque 35 foot pounds. ohmy.gif It did feel like it had an even harder hit than before. The bad news is after taking the quiet core out I found the core of the FMF ti exhaust had blew all the packing out and the core had broken loose. mad.gif
I was in such a hurry to get the stroker engine going I didnt have time to go through my quad for the dyno. I also didnt get a chance to throw the duals on since this was a cam test and needed the same exhaust. If all goes as typical for the duals there should be a couple more ponies when I get it installed.

wistech

#88 Post by wistech »

I have a handfull of cams with good lobes on them but the roller bearing journal have started chipping. Since the pressure fed system has been bulletproof I thought I might give a shot at repairing the journals. Cutting them down and resleeving with a hardened sleeve seems unlikely as the size of the journal is to small and it would weaken it. So I will try a speedie repair sleeve and a custom sized to fit bearing. Speedie sleeves are thin stainless steel so it couldnt be run with the roller bearing. Here a before and after pic.

wistech

#89 Post by wistech »

It looks like most of the time the chipping is caused by running the roller bearing to close to the edge of the cam journal. Ive also seen this happen when a cam ball bearing goes out.

wistech

#90 Post by wistech »

To those who have been asking about more cams I sent 20 out for nitriding today. I should be getting them back in about a week and a half. I had a couple of brand new 03 style butter steel cams in with this batch. it was sad cutting the decomps off. The cutting bit saws right through whatever steel they are made of. Then i get to a couple of fx400 cams and the bit just bounces off them. I wonder if ATk has been usin gthe right torque spec on thier cam gears or forgoing locktite. I had a cams out of ATK's that has the timing pins snapped off in the cams. That should never happen if the bolt is tight. For those wondering how to get the snapped off pins out of the cam spray a little oil on them and hit them with the blow gun. It will force the oil and air past he pin and hydraulic action will pop it out.

I was also asking the nitrider if they cams should be low temp quenched but he said no as it is for strenghtening the whole part and not for wear resistance. So these will get the usual treatment.