What lift and duration do you want.

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
Sandstorm

What lift and duration do you want.

#1 Post by Sandstorm »

DAB asked me what we need.. This was through email so I asked for his expertise and won't hear from him for a day or so.. So lets hear what stock is and what your looking for..

wanablaze

#2 Post by wanablaze »

Personally smile.gif :

Something like .500 inch lift

26X duration on intake and 27X on exhaust.

biggrin.gif

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

I dont know.We need more flow out exhaust side.Intake is fine.Is there some kind of formula these cam guys use?Like for more top end= or more bottom =

Sandstorm

#4 Post by Sandstorm »

I'll ask?? Maybe somebody can find out stock lift and duration on Z400 cams and then look at the specs on hotcams.. I know when you use both hot cams in a bolt on motor for a Z it loses bottom end while gaining top end.. Our Z's benefit all the way around w/ ported motors.. No loss of bottom end..

T-Rex

Cams

#5 Post by T-Rex »

I have talked to a good friend of mine who knows a Honda formula one engineer. The reason they have more lift and duration on the intake side is because it helps cools the engine due to the aluminam (spelling) block and cylinder design.
Most cast iron high horsepower block running super unleaded are running higher lift and duration (106 center line lobe seperation) on the exhaust side to assure all of the wasted gases are out of the engine producing more HP. We can simulate the same thing by ceramic coating the top of the piston and combustion chamber of the cylinder head. 12.5:1 on super unleaded should be no problem. I am working with him on a spec we could use on the exhaust side. I don't know how long it will take but when we come up with something I will let you guys know.

wanablaze

#6 Post by wanablaze »

I believe a little more duration would be necessary on the exhaust side as I have been told that ported has pretty much been maxed out there.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes.Thing is we may be jumping the gun here since the flow tests were with a moto exhaust on.Blackwidows exhaust may be just what is needed to get the correct flow.Need a flowbench and exhaust to find out.I think it was said but most important is to get some cams that we KNOW are made to last.