New Style Engine Case

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
kdeal

#1 Post by kdeal »

I must have tried to describe this case to a dozen different people but I was finally able to get a picture scanned. The picture below is in a Cannondale brochure on an engineer's desk. It is obviously unfinished but look at the surfgace of the case. It's just like a Jap motor case (smooth as glass). I have one of these cases that Cannondale purposely demilled (ruined) by cutting the front motor mount ears off of. I think Haydug picked it up at the bankruptcy sale. Also, one question, is it a hydro or cable clutch motor? Ever seen a SSM case with a manual clutch?

claas900

#2 Post by claas900 »

I wonder why they purposely cut thos off? Could they have been trying to get rid of that mount and just use swingarm bolt and the bolt hole on the back of some of the heads?

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

I dont know how the Japs make thier cases but it sure doesnt look anything like our SSM cases.Has to be a different process.Look at that billet trannyplate too.Cool pic.

J. Delaney

#4 Post by J. Delaney »

It would be neat to see what would have come out of the factory if they were still in business today. I think Timbo would probably be heading up their engineering department!

Canniboomer

#5 Post by Canniboomer »

I have been intending to post these pics for a while now. We have one of those cases here, on an '02 Cannibal.

The case front lug is stamped 5001616. The holes extend to the sumpcase, but do not penetrate through. One pic shows some aluma-seal filler, added here to prevent mud-packing.

FYI, this one is a factory Unicorned Hydro clutch.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

The one from the brochure is a strange one. If you milled off the cable pivot it would look just like the rest of the ssm cases except for the drain plug under the flywheel housing and the bolt boss on the starter clutch . It doesnt even have a cable perch in the side of the sleeve for a cable. Prototype casting must have been pretty easy to make with the diverse amount of changes there are in the cases.
Has anyone ever talked to any of the real indepth engineers in the brochure. Ill bet the crap we find so fascinating was just another day for them and they wouldnt even remember this stuff.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

The finish is not even close to a SSM case.More like old cases but not even that.That guy in pic wasnt a Engineer if I remember right.He was some kind of manager and gave us tour of the place.Alot of the Engineers and people who really know there stuff are in related jobs so they probably arent willing to talk about such stuff since thier current employer might think they would do same to them.I dont know.Either way they arent talking or sharing much usefull and never have.Those files like on his PC sure would be nice to have.

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

Actually the guys official title was "designer" and his name is Jeff Castro. Now that Boomer has mentioned it, look next to his left index finger, it's the magical part number Boomer mentioned. My idea on the clutch shaft boss is that it is a little old design with new. I'll bet this case was a pedecessor to the SSM case. I think they found a new way to make them cheaper (SSM) and it went from there. If you look closely you can see the hydro clutch slave cylinder boss under the clutch shaft boss. (this case was meant to go both ways!) I will have to check my case for the extra holes Boomer has mentioned. FYI on the case ears: They cut it tight to the case itself and the cut goes up thru the cartridge plate seal......

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Boy I could swear it was same guy but it was a long time ago.There was him in charge and a older guy who was dressed like a farmer(no disrepect intended)both seemed to be management.Maybe wasnt much designing going on at time since they were busy trying to save company at time.Just had gone through one month shutdown and restarted with some hefty goals to meet.

kdeal

#10 Post by kdeal »

Had to run out to the shop and get pics... My case is different. No extra bolt holes on either side. The bottom was welded on (my guess is to do machine work after casting) It is well used then butchered....