New engine configuration first test results.

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
wistech

#1 Post by wistech »

Today I got a chance to break in and torture the moto's new engine. This engine has the CWR high lift intake and stock fx400 exhaust cams timed at 108 degrees. FMF exhaust with quiet core/spark arrestor. My head porting ,throttle body ,ported airbox and ported bike stack. Stock crank stock ASSO piston.
Animals 128 map.

First off it was out to the track for some break in and low speed. This is definatly not a motocross engine. It has no low or mid range hit at all. Its very docile until the rpms start climing. Unless you ran a gear low it would just bog . Throttle response was fairly sluggish. I wasnt to impressed with the motor because it just didnt work in the tight short jumps this track had.

Then after a hour of messing with the mapping and using a couple gallons of gas it was off to a small trail system. This is where the engine was all business . Once it had some room to wind out it showed what porting for top end is all about. I'm guess at around 8,000 to 9,000 rpm the cams really start doing thier job because it was like hitting a nitrous button. Power hits extremely hard and as long as you dont shift to soon it accelerates all the way to the 11,300 rev limiter right now. For fast high speed trail riding it was wonderfull. The only thing I worry about is how long this engine could last the way I drive. I couldnt help but run a gear to low and rev the snot out of it. This is a sweet motor for high speed wheelies to because where the stocker will start dropping the front end as you go through the gears this one will just keep screaming and pull it right back up with it insane high reving pull.

I hope to get it on the dyno soon to see if we can map in a little smoother midrange power. I will also pull the tank to see how the cams are holding up. I could only see one cam lobe through the gap in the frame but it looked ok. The other thing I noticed was the clear flywheel cover got condensation on it when the engine heated up. I may have to vent the cover or dry it out better .

All in all I am pleased that this motor is working exactly as designed. I think I went to far going for all out power and sacrificed the mid range hit but maybe that can be worked on. Its just great to ride the moto with some real power for a change.

J. Delaney

#2 Post by J. Delaney »

I bet that cam combo would work great on a machine set up specificly for the sand dunes though! Also I bet on your SAS it would work even better with the added displacment and compression..

wanablaze

#3 Post by wanablaze »

Sounds like a good map for drag racing, especially on asphalt. blink.gif Hmmm.... dry.gif

dalewannbe

#4 Post by dalewannbe »

Good luck getting it dailed in. At least the motor held up for its firts test.

Keep us posted on the results.

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (J. Delaney @ Jun 11 2006, 12:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bet that cam combo would work great on a machine set up specificly for the sand dunes though! Also I bet on your SAS it would work even better with the added displacment and compression..

The SAS has the same cam timing . The extra long stroke ,high compression ,and 450 piston is probalbly why it has such a great power curve throughout the range.
Im not sure about hillclimbing but as long as you keep it wound up I dont think it would fall off on a steep hillclimb like the stockers do.

This engine is still running one off the 2 original prototype Timborods and z400 bearing from 2 years ago. It has also had the Zack map with the 11,800 rev limiter in it all that time. The piston was very worn out but it never burned oil . It was just very tired and power was dropping off from loss of compression.
This setup might be the ticket for those who want to race competativly on a tight budget and cant afford aftermarket pistons and stroker cranks. I think with these cams the CWR intake might have been better off at stock timing to soften the mid to top end hit. One things for sure ,heavy porting and valve work really brings out the best in a stocker.

claas900

#6 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (wistech @ Jun 11 2006, 07:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The SAS has the same cam timing . The extra long stroke ,high compression ,and 450 piston is probalbly why it has such a great power curve throughout the range.
Im not sure about hillclimbing but as long as you keep it wound up I dont think it would fall off on a steep hillclimb like the stockers do.

This engine is still running one off the 2 original prototype Timborods and z400 bearing from 2 years ago. It has also had the Zack map with the 11,800 rev limiter in it all that time. The piston was very worn out but it never burned oil . It was just very tired and power was dropping off from loss of compression.
This setup might be the ticket for those who want to race competativly on a tight budget and cant afford aftermarket pistons and stroker cranks. I think with these cams the CWR intake might have been better off at stock timing to soften the mid to top end hit. One things for sure ,heavy porting and valve work really brings out the best in a stocker.

Off topic...Wistech send me your email,i want to send you a few pics in the next few days on something iv been working on... mine is oddballracing_2001@yahoo.com

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Jun 11 2006, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Off topic...Wistech send me your email,i want to send you a few pics in the next few days on something iv been working on... mine is oddballracing_2001@yahoo.com

exoticquads@msn.com

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

Wistech,
Trying gearing that thing down a little. I'll bet it will rip on the track then!

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

This may be a bit premature . But today I changed oil in the quad and pulled the tank to get a better look at the prototype camshafts. After 3 hours of run time the black coating is still on the lobes. There was a very light coating of black metal on the oil inlet magnet and just a few small specs of aluminum in the oil filter. This is to be expected on the first oil change of course so the next one will tell all.
Looking good so far . more abuse to come.

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

GREAT NEWS

At 10 hours I just pulled the gas tank to check the camshafts. They still have the black oxide coating on them. Wohoo . I guess that means all that money we invested in the rehardening/coating wasnt in vain. Thanks to the guys that chipped in cams for helping out getting this project done. The next batch of cams will be more agressive profiles. I dont know when they will be done.

Maybe I will bump the rev limiter up to 13,000 to take advantage of the insane top end this engine is setup at.
This will be the longest a CWR cam has ever lasted and showed no wear.
Hopefully we will be able to build a custom map for this engine to give it more low and mid range. Then I wont have to toss out the CWR intake like I did with the exhaust.