New engine configuration first test results.

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
claas900

#11 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (wistech @ Jun 15 2006, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This may be a bit premature . But today I changed oil in the quad and pulled the tank to get a better look at the prototype camshafts. After 3 hours of run time the black coating is still on the lobes. There was a very light coating of black metal on the oil inlet magnet and just a few small specs of aluminum in the oil filter. This is to be expected on the first oil change of course so the next one will tell all.
Looking good so far . more abuse to come.

..Next batch of cams you do,id like to get in on it..

wistech

#12 Post by wistech »

I already have a pile of my own started to get thrown in with the hardwelded batch. Im not looking forward to paying for that one. sad.gif

claas900

#13 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (wistech @ Jun 30 2006, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I already have a pile of my own started to get thrown in with the hardwelded batch. Im not looking forward to paying for that one. sad.gif

...Yeah i have a hand full of flat cams..But there the adj. ones so its what im wanting to put back in my bike.

wistech

#14 Post by wistech »

Got to test out the Moto's new power today. At last it has an engine worthy of the chassis. It nothing like it was before the dyno tune session. Now it pulls from a stop nice and smooth and revs great to the rediculous top end. The rev limiter is still at 12,500. I could help but spool it up a couple times. It may not be the most powerfullDale but it is an absolute joy to run.
I did have an issue with the fuel boiling in the tank . We spent an hour down in a huge gravel pit doing lots of low speed and brush crashing. The fuel pump started squealing and the quad shut off and wouldnt run above idle. The heat was rolling off the motor. No fuel would go through the filter. After splashing some water on the quad and letting it sit for 10 minutes the boiling sound stopped in the lines and it started flowing fuel again. I ran at higher speeds after that to get more airflow and it was fine.

Ready to run

wistech

#15 Post by wistech »

Well here we are a year later . Still running a 12,500 rev limiter . The black moly coating is still on the cwr intake and there is just a little rubbed off the exhaust. All 4 lobes are perfect. The valves have been floating really bad lately so I decided to pull the engine to check the spring pressures out. I hope to have yet another ported head on this thing by tommorow with a 460 cp piston and the new high lift cam. I think it will dyno a tad higher than the 50hp we got out of the 432 last year.

GDITheman

#16 Post by GDITheman »

sweet news.

wistech

#17 Post by wistech »

Oh my how the years go by . While racing across frozen lake wausau last winter the moto developed a knock and lost power. I rode it to an island where we decided to tow it back. Interesting enough the engine that was powering the quad I was racing has become the replacemnt motor till this one is repaired. I have been so busy it wasnt till today that I got to tear it apart to see what has issues. The top end turns out to be in perfect condition .Cams ,buckets all melanited are still good to go. The bottom end was one I built back in 2004 with Timbomooses first prototype rods. After 5 years it has never had metal in the filters and still doesnt. This is the engine that had the 12,500 rev limiter and was starting to float the valves a few years back when it was a 48hp 432. Then I changed it to a WWE design 460 CP built piston cranking out 55hp.
It looks like there are 2 issues. The head oring has what looks to be dry rotted from age and started to leak coolant in. THe knocking was caused by a broken wrist pin cleaved right up the middle. This was not the garbage WWE paper thin wrist pin either. It was I believe a CP or wiseco that Tim came up with. We drilled a little out of the ends to lighten it but the center is still thick. The piston cocked in the bore but I believe after I measure it it will still be usable. The sleeve is in good shape as well. I think I willl fish the wrist pin clip out of the case and put it back together . The only other thing I found on the engine was the timing chain had ten clickes of slack. Not bad for 6 years worth of abuse.
One other wierd thing is the coolant that slowly leaked into the engine must have reacted to the race gas carbon and created a gooey gel. It looks like nasty loogy but wipes right off.

Happyboy

#18 Post by Happyboy »

ghostbusters needs to come get slimer back.

cannondale27

#19 Post by cannondale27 »

It looks to me like the coolant was leaking while it was running.Coolant in the top end can easily break a wristpin or much worse.Also I think that piston design isnt the best.Glad nothing really bad happened though for sure.

wistech

#20 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Sep 13 2009, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ghostbusters needs to come get slimer back.

thats good stuff LOL Ive been slimed .... laugh.gif