Is your oiling system healthy?

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
wistech

#1 Post by wistech »

Heres a great idea from Mydreamride for keeping an eye on the flow performance of the oiling system. It is a clear fuel filter made for a carbed engine with the filters removed. The center shaft is made of steel not plastic . You would not believe how much oil is blasting through these little hoses. It is a mixmaster of whipped oil.

Here it is while running. It doesnt just fill up it churns. When the engine is shut off for a while oil will leak back into the engine and empty the glass. This is a great place for one of the new mini magnets from kdeal. I will have one soon. Great job Mike.

hawksd1

#2 Post by hawksd1 »

QUOTE (wistech @ Jun 18 2006, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heres a great idea from Mydreamride for keeping an eye on the flow performance of the oiling system. It is a clear fuel filter made for a carbed engine with the filters removed. The center shaft is made of steel not plastic . You would not believe how much oil is blasting through these little hoses. It is a mixmaster of whipped oil.

Here it is while running. It doesnt just fill up it churns. When the engine is shut off for a while oil will leak back into the engine and empty the glass. This is a great place for one of the new mini magnets from kdeal. I will have one soon. Great job Mike.

Hats off to the brain behind that one..that is awesome. Good job

acarli3

#3 Post by acarli3 »

One of those with a magnet in it already would be worth some money to me. Let me know when they are available.

mydreamride

#4 Post by mydreamride »

Thanks, I came up with the idea due to the fact that my oil pump behind the crank cartrige plate locked up and trashed a set of 500 cams and buckets. The sight glass works great for keeping an eye on oil condition(oil changes) and it will show if there are alot of metal particles in it(early detection of motor damage).

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

That is a great idea!

kdeal

#6 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (acarli3 @ Jun 18 2006, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One of those with a magnet in it already would be worth some money to me. Let me know when they are available.

The filter is available at most auto parts stores under the "CR" Chicago Rawhide brand. (Make sure to remove the gas filter element in the middle as it unscrews to replace it) Drop me a PM on the magnet he is refering to. I found some that are as thin as a dime and just 3/8" in diameter and pull as hard or harder than the drain plug magnets.

iceracer17

#7 Post by iceracer17 »

Got to see it in action this weekend.I never thought there was that much oil going through that hose!

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Lol yeah!Another tip is when doing this make sure your hoses arent getting old and rotten or if your chain breaks doesnt hit the hose.Trail ride this weekend Wistech was leading and I was wwringing the YFZ out trying to keep up when I started seeing and smelling big clouds of oil in the air.Turns out there was a small tear in the oil hose of Wistechs quad!Tried to catch him to tell him but didnt catch up till stop sign.Was a 3ft stream spraying down the whole back of his quad!10 minute trail repair with vent hose used as substitute and we were on our way again.Only lost about 1/2 qt.Sure was fun riding with you guys.**** YFZ just dont cut it at those speeds though!

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

Yep pulled off another mcguyver again. Best dang trail riding conditions you could ever ask for. Wet sand and no dust. A wonderfull day. That hose looked like new on the outside but was just rotten on the inside. Might have to rig up metal pipes for those because where will we get the stock hoses. Since the stock ones are probalbly the last 03 hoses which were made out of the crap material.

patmc81

#10 Post by patmc81 »

This is why I didn't understand what you told me about drilling it out wistech. I got a diferent fuel filter mine is not round its square