R/D Valvespring Head

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

#1 Post by cannondale27 »

Well as some of you remember a head Donated by Wachs Racing's Chuck Wachs along with a whole bunch of worn cams from Witech were sent to R/D valvespring for development and thier opinion on why cams were wearing and valves dropping on some.No suggestions were given to him and he came to conclusion that sticky bucket and soft cams were the issue.That was free advice and same conclusion rest of us finally came too after much fretting and problems.So go ahead was given to him to give the head the works.It has been done for awhile but none of us have had $ to get it.Very sorry R/D about the holdups.It is on its way now.

R/D valvesprings same tension/length as stock but built by them.
R/D Ferrea Ti valves,retainers and keepers
R/D Ti valve seats
R/D Porting with emphasis on exhaust flow
Remachined Bucket Bores
R/D coated Buckets

Goal is to see how this works and then he will go with lighter spring pressure than stock which should be possible with lighter Ti valves.

This will go on a Asso piston, stock stroke Timbo crank stock compression and be revved to 12,500 rpm like Witechs(thanks for doing that first!)over winter piston will be removed and compression lowered for the addition of the Turbo I have.That is if it survives.I am excited to see potential of TiValves and even different porting.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

[attachment=826:RD_valvespring_001.jpg]Pics:
1)Chamber
2)Exhaust
3)Intake
4)Retainer
5)R/D spring,R/D coated bucket
6)Stock ex
7)Ti ex
8)Stock intake
9)Ti intake
10)Left stock Ex.,Right Ti
11)Left stock In.,Right Ti
12)All with Ti in middle
13)Proto super light Ti spring

Porting was only $75.Not alot done but everything matches.Thought would be more since $ was no object but never know.Chamber was extensivly reshaped.

Valves are not coated.

Springs inner/outer are interference fit like kibblewhites.Must be bigger dia.buckets are tight on them as are the retainers in inner spring.No washers spring seats are a bit thicker.Also new along with guides and seals.Guides are longer.Will have to call but I believe the lightwieght spring is what we are trying next.Should be fun.

Ever wondered how hardened seats are removed?Here are stockers.

383astro

#3 Post by 383astro »

Turbo huh? What size turbo? I have been working on a turbo dale.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Not sure yet.I have one from a GPZ 750 I believe.Will dyno and test naturally first.Maybe we can help each other when time comes?New territory for me for sure.

383astro

#5 Post by 383astro »

I have a turbocharged 355 sbc in a datsun pickup. Runs 9.70 at 140 mph in the quarter with a wore out rajay turbo and stock subaru wrx intercooler. I have a turbo off of a gpz750 also another but cant remember what it was. We can definitely help each other. Where are you going to put yours? I was thinking in the very front with exhaust problems or under the seat with it cooking the fuel. Any suggestions? Makes you kinda wish the exhaust went out the front.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Ditch the stock fuel tank.Wont need much anyway.May even put fuel in the swingarm!Or else a small tank like 250r kits have.Ever hear of Aerocharger turbos?Was told the GPZ turbo is going to have alot of lag.Aerocharger would be almost instant.Big $ though.

http://www.hiperturbo.com/

http://www.homemadeturbo.com/tech_projects/

http://www.aerocharger.com/

383astro

#7 Post by 383astro »

Interesting thoughts, get with me when you start on it, I will try to work on mine and maybe we can make some monsters.

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Thanks.Need to finish spare motor with this head then remove my x440s motor put spare in it with stock head and X440 motor will become the Turbo motor in a old Blaze chassis I have.Probably winter before Turbo work begins.Need to start collecting parts also.Should be able to intercool it also.Think we can beat the new dyno king of 56hp?

383astro

#9 Post by 383astro »

ported motor, harley injectors, turbo, special map, good springs and ti valves, little massaging here and there. Im thinking like 70+ to be conservative. Im making 647 at the flywheel on the truck that had 388 at the flywheel before the turbo. Im sure we could add the same 60 plus percent gain. Comes out to 80-85. Could you imagine......

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

Oh Yeah!Then Nitrous and Alky.