R/D Valvespring Head

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

#111 Post by cannondale27 »

Well I sent head to Timbo to try some more porting. He removed valves. Seems there is some burring going on on the seats. Not good.

Like I said was alot of carbon in chamber. I am no porter but I did notice it was more than usual. So the R/D valvespring port job did really mess up this head. Valves also are seated out further than normal. All this is probably hurting power.

So in summary:
Buckets coating works but not forever and some buckets are not correctly sized
Ti Oversized valves have held up but are now leaving a burr
The porting R/D valvespring did was a power robber on chamber at least

Timbo and Mark did some more work on the head. Once I get it back will dyno again and that is it for attempts with this motor combo.

wayneschofield

#112 Post by wayneschofield »

Steve, if the valves are bigger have you shrouded a portion of them against the chamber/cylinder wall perhaps- effectively losing some curtain area?

cannondale27

#113 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (Wayne Schofield @ Aug 24 2008, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steve, if the valves are bigger have you shrouded a portion of them against the chamber/cylinder wall perhaps- effectively losing some curtain area?

No they were unshrouded as much as possible. But it could be a issue yet. The seats only had one cut. 45 deg and the valve face sticks out into the chamber more than a stocker does. R/D also totally removed the diamond around the spark plug and also alot of material was removed in that area. Why? I don't know.

cannondale27

#114 Post by cannondale27 »

This head has had a third porting and valves and seats freshened up by Timbo. Will they last? No guarantees but I am not going to use it anymore nor waste my time trying so if someone wants to trade me for a good used head complete I will trade or make a offer. Have decided to build my stock stroke 450 with my old trailhead and start over with head for stroker. Like said this head has well over $2000 invested in it and produced 56hp with CP 14:1 piston. Piston is NOT included. Goal for me is 60hp. My 4hp loss is your gain.

Happyboy

#115 Post by Happyboy »

So, I guess this takes out RD for good port jobs? I take it they did a competent job but for our application they didin't compare up to the ports others are putting out?

cannondale27

#116 Post by cannondale27 »

No, I would say if it weren't for Matczak porting it would have put out less hp than stock. It was a butch job.

ANIMALSCANNIBAL

#117 Post by ANIMALSCANNIBAL »

I saw that head at Tim's, and wasn't impressed with the combustion chamber shape.

cannondale27

#118 Post by cannondale27 »

Well it sounds like Desertbound is going to take this project over. I hope you get 60hp man.

Happyboy

#119 Post by Happyboy »

ouch.

desertbound

#120 Post by desertbound »

A little nitro methane and I think I can get it. Ha ha ha. Seriously, Hp is awesome, but I just want to put together a strong running motor that will be better than the 45hp build I have now. I think this will do it. I need to get myself a power commander and some dyno time, and I think I should be ready to go in a few weeks. I'll keep everyone updated in this post as to what progress I make.