New type of fuel

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
T-Rex

#1 Post by T-Rex »

There are a few people using this stuff and getting some what good results. Has anyone tried this type of fuel and how are they liking it? Its suppose to be a 105 octane rating.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Its gasohol made with corn.I would stay away from it.Its new and in past none of automakers would allow more than 10% now they are making vehicles to run on this stuff but I have no idea what they have done to use it.Our quads havent changed so therefore we cant use it.

T-Rex

#3 Post by T-Rex »

Good enough answer fo rme...

I tried Ultimate 4 from VP Racing fuels and it pitted my sleeve on my Raptor after just a tank of fuel. That stuff sucks period..

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Wow must be some alcohol in that also.Thats worst thing about these gases.They ATTRACT water so its just like when you run alky everything should be drained and some gas run through to prevent corrosion.

hawksd1

#5 Post by hawksd1 »

Ive heard that the corn type of gasohol has a lot of carbon depositing with its use... it really gums up the valves or so ive heard

kdeal

#6 Post by kdeal »

I have no clue what the ratio of gas to ethynol is in this stuff, but if you are not properly jetted for it you will be running lean. Alcohol burns at roughly twice the speed of gasoline. That means lean city if no other mods are done to the motor. It is also extremely corrosive like C27 said and is not a good alternative without the proper preparations.

Pro400EXC

#7 Post by Pro400EXC »

the E85 ethanol is....

Not like alchohol...

Its 85% ethanol and 15% 87 octane fuel.

there is a study on it in the new Car Craft...but i don't feel like typing it all out

T-Rex

#8 Post by T-Rex »

They also did a write up in Hot Rod, thats where I got the idea from. I also have a friend mixing it with 110 octane fuel in his YFZ and he seems to like it. I am thinking he is mixing it 5 onces to a gallon of 110.
Also in the mag. they did a lot of mods to the Holley carb (idle circuit, etc) just to run the E85 strait. The dyno's report about a 15ftlbs of torque increase with it. Too me its not worth the hassel.

theJeStEr1340

#9 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

E85 is more currosive. It will eat up your fuel lines and O-rings, not sure about cylinders or curroding metal.

We are switching the Formula SAE car over to it this year and are going to see how long out fuel lines and such last as long as we drain the system and run regular gas afterwards.

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

I dont understand how it could produce more power.If run in a car made for it your mileage goes down considerably in my eyes that means it has less power.Of course if a motor is detonating or being used with less timing to avoid detonation and you make switch taking advantage of the octane thats a different story.I also find it odd that GM,ford and chrysler have all jumped on this E85 bandwagon yet Toyota has not and has made a point of warning thier buyers to avoid anything with more than 10%.