Casidium coated pins...?

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
wayneschofield

#1 Post by wayneschofield »

Hi

Has anyone tried using Casidium coated wrist pins with the stock, unbushed, rod? They are supposed to work best run straight in the rod.

Cheers.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

We have had really good luck with Chromeplated wristpins.Reduced galling to almost nothing.Also tried another coating but had failures.I think its safe to say that actually the failures were from the JE piston since some are still running to this day.Timbomoose did this coating on advice from coating place.I think it was a type of chrome but had a rough finish that was supposed to hold oil.

jesshamner

#3 Post by jesshamner »

Is there an advantage of Casidium over chrome?

timbomoose

#4 Post by timbomoose »

The coating I did on the wrist pins a couple of years ago was an oil pourous chrome. Had immediate problems,they would eat through the wrist pin bore of the pins in an hour or 2. Funny thing was it only affected the je piston and nothing else.Still know of a few that were left in stock asso pistions 2 years later with over a 100hrs and no problems. I believe the problem was the material on the Je's. At the time i thought all had to do with the coating,but was wrong.I made a recall and all pistons and pins were fine on all piston except Je, all the Je wrist pin bores were toast. Another odd thing about the Je's is how they wear out the wrist pins where the piston rides. Somethings definately wrong with the material being used on the Je's. On a recent purchase of the new Cp's I noticed the chrome wrist pin they suppy looks identical the coating I tried,maybe we were on the right track and ahaed of everyone else who knows,but from the experience from the Je's I've been just using regular chrome plated wristpins,but have one of their wrist pins being tested in the dirtbike.As for the Casidium I'm not sure.

wayneschofield

#5 Post by wayneschofield »

Casidium is supposed to be diamond-like hard.

The idea is that you can run without a bushed little end, thus putting less hoop-stress on the rod and saving some weight. The coating stops 'pick-up' like the stock ones do. The one I just stripped was very low hours and was already showing signs of pick-up.

I'll do it anyway on the 'spare' motor I'm building, just thought someone might have already had it done and maybe had some pins in stock.

I'll have to see how it lasts.

fig

#6 Post by fig »

QUOTE (Wayne Schofield @ Jan 19 2007, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll do it anyway on the 'spare' motor I'm building, just thought someone might have already had it done and maybe had some pins in stock.

I'll have to see how it lasts.

Sounds like you guys may have another R&D guy on your hands. Good luck and I hope you find some improvements for our bikes.

Thanks

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

Yup its awesome to have more guys really getting into it.

jesshamner

#8 Post by jesshamner »

Awesome! Go for it! We never know where the next weak link is going to be with all this horsepower that you guys are finding.

wayneschofield

#9 Post by wayneschofield »

The main thing I am working towards is not having to do all this twice a year, every year.....

Plus, if we don't make what we have last properly with some proper thought and applied engineering, we'll run out of essential parts and then what will we have?

I'm doing this to prolong my Cannondale enjoyment. It's just a hobby rather than an occupation so I am happy to share all I find for the mutual benefit of all. Yes it costs money but then, so does a new Kawasaki, and that just wouldn't be the same somehow.

Is it just a feeling I have or does ATK not get much in the way of support from the community?

Sandstorm

#10 Post by Sandstorm »

ATK has chosen to do their own thing. I'l leave it at that as this can alter this great topic..