Spin the Throttlebody on the Cannondale

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

#1 Post by cannondale27 »

Has anyone tried it?You take a look at the intake and its split down the middle vertically but the throttle plate when wide open is horizontal.Well what if you turn throttlebody 90deg. to match port divider.It looks to me everything clears with throttle wheel over valvecover.May negativly affect low range but I would think at WFO it would be better since air doesnt need to make direction change in center.Give credit to Wayne Schofield for getting this into my head with his progressive throttle idea for better lowend control.This is just opposite biggrin.gif Never know till ya try.

Psychosis

#2 Post by Psychosis »

I might be a guinea pig for you on that if nobody beats me to it. Have 2 quads torn into pieces, one being built in the next few days, another hopefully next week, and another the following to tear/rebuild. Interesting concept.

Building basically my "ultimate" quad in my mind and willing to try some unique things.

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Cool.Mines not put together yet so.I believe cable should be long enough also.Not sure about wiring though.

Psychosis

#4 Post by Psychosis »

I've got the wiring out of mine and making some modifications anyway so if nobody else gets there first, I'll see what comes of it.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Thanks

wayneschofield

#6 Post by wayneschofield »

Anyone tried a roller barrel throttle yet?

No spindle, no butterfly, nothing to mess up airflow at all... And you could have it the right way up for part throttles.

Your concerns over part throttle turbulance are unfounded, I reckon, with the throttle plate axis and the port divider aligned.

Go on, I dare you....

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

No dare needed sooner or later it will be dynoed even.If it clears everything.If not might have to try it with a 500ecu.Those should increase in popularity now that all kinds of injector ranges can be had allowing tuning.They have more room since no weak IACV is on them.

Canniboomer

#8 Post by Canniboomer »

...for wide open throttle, maybe..... but for any throttle position below WOT you would be throwing higher pressure (condensed) air to the left or right side, depending on which way you rotate the TB. The stock setup provides perfect flow symmetry at all plate angles, for the same mixed pressure delivery to each valve throat.

Splitting air, or splitting hairs, this is a fun topic, and you might just peak out as the next dyno king!.... just remember to always ride a full open hammer-time!

MX Quad Dad

#9 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Jan 27 2007, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...for wide open throttle, maybe..... but for any throttle position below WOT you would be throwing higher pressure (condensed) air to the left or right side, depending on which way you rotate the TB. The stock setup provides perfect flow symmetry at all plate angles, for the same mixed pressure delivery to each valve throat.

This is the first thing that I thought. I keep thinking every thing has to be equal. But it is only a single cylinder engine. so I would think, as long as you had enough air flowing in the lower pressured runner to keep the fuel atomised (sp?) and cool the intake valve.

You always read about gimics that create a swirl to increase performance (not that I believe any work). A lower pressure at one valve would create something in the cumbustion chamber?

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

You know I really dont think there is any swirling going on in the chamber.Remember when Wistech had one bad injector how only one pipe of two was glowing red on his exhaust same side?I couldnt believe that would happen but it did.This throttlebody experiment could be really interesting.