Does anyone have any orginal Cannondale CAD drawings - Sidecover

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
thedeatons

#1 Post by thedeatons »

Hey guys.... I am working on some long awaited fixes for our Dales, and was wondering if anyone had any original CAD drawings from when Cannondale was in business. I am specifically looking for the engine side cover drawing file. There, that lets the cat out of the bag... I think I have figured out a simple way to make the side cover a two piece design. Not using a retrofit or a modification, but by having a new piece carved from billet... I will keep everyone up to date on the progress.

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

Can you give some more detail? I know there was a thread on this a while back where people were throwing out ideas before.

thedeatons

#3 Post by thedeatons »

I will be happy to give more detail, but I would like to find out about the CAD drawings first... Let me know guys...

Happyboy

#4 Post by Happyboy »

I am pretty sure noone on here has the CAD drawings. Contact 4strokemadman for your best chance.

kdeal

#5 Post by kdeal »

I agree. The CAD drawings are proprietary property and are still hard to come by. But I do have an idea...

What about this:

thedeatons

#6 Post by thedeatons »

That is exactly what I had in mind. If we were to leave a perimeter side cover to bolt up using the stock side cover gasket, then have basically a clutch/timing chain cover that bolted to that perimeter with its own gasket, we would have one cover access to the clutch/pump gears/scavenge pump/Stage 8, all without pulling the engine. I would easily pay $300 for this new side cover, along with some development fees. If I could get some donor side covers I could have them cut, then send them to RIS or Timbo for new billet pieces. I would prefer to just be able to purchase an inner perimeter in billet, and an outer engine cover also in billet, and not modify anything. Do it once, do it right mentallity. This is why I was hoping for the original CAD drawings, so we could simply modify an existing drawing that a machine could use, instead of reverse engineering our side covers into CAD.... Is there ANY way we can get ahold of the one drawing we need? I could fork over $100 for it... I am sure people are fed up with pulling a motor for a plastic gear failure....

Hey Ken.... Any idea who has this sidecover you pictured? It is literally exactly what I was thinking.... If only they had gone about 2 more years in production.... sigh....

kdeal

#7 Post by kdeal »

The cover picture is from a brochure for Cannondale's pre production motor and then they made a change. I have no idea how many are out there. I do know what you have already been told about the CAD drawings is true. One of the engineers has the custodian rights to them. I don't know if he signed anything for non-disclosure. Remember there was several parties involved in the bankruptcy, and one company bought the intellectual rights only. ATK got the majority of the parts, and the bicycle company was spun off. I think I have a better picture though.

thedeatons

#8 Post by thedeatons »

I wonder why they changed that. That is exactly what I would like to do in aluminum, so that we can leave the outer perimeter intact, covering the two cam gears, and remove the cover for the chain, pump gears and clutch. The only thing holding me back is the fact that we have to reverse engineer our current side cover into CAD, then modify it... Anyone know who that engineer is?

kdeal

#9 Post by kdeal »

His user name on this site is 4strokemadman.

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

Alot of us have been begging for files any files forever.C'mon you formers.Put them on a disc and mail them ALL out for distribution to EVERYONE.As far as propietary I dont think so.Can Hanover still sell and make gears?Yes,Could Cycra make plastic?Yes,Can Megacycle make cams?YesI had to reverse engineer the decomp to get that made and it was a major pain and still not perfect.Anyone can have that file and waterpump file just for asking.We need all the help we can get Please distribute the files and whoever gets them do the same.Put on a disc or two nobody would ever know where it came from.Fourstrokemadman is not only one with files there are plenty of others.Please,please share.

You get a sidecover such as Kdeal pictured and I would pay $500 for one.I bet once outside portion is off inside ring would clear also.Topend job with motor in frame would be possible and if not at least valve check.