New flywheels`- need input and help

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
Mjollnir

#1 Post by Mjollnir »

Hey guys,

Need some input here. Here's the background. My sister-in-law's dad is a career machinist, tool and die maker to be specific. He has over 40 years of experience, and retired a few years ago. At about that time, he bought out a machine shop and now likes to make stuff for his Porsches in his spare time. He is extremely good at what he does, apparantly. He has a full machine shop in his back shop at his house, including various CNC equipment.

He is interested in making us flywheels, but I don't know enough about them to tell him what we need. He needs pictures and information:

- construction of the stock flywheels
- mode of failure
- details about specs - shaft size, weight, etc
- he's also willing to do different weights, what weights would be good, heavier, lighter, both?

If someone could send me a good flywheel on loan so he could take a look at it, that would also be a good thing. I only have the ones that are currently installed. He said he would also like a sample of the shaft it mounts on. If I'm not mistaken, that would be the crank, right?

I think this is a real chance to solve this problem - like I said, he is real good at what he does, he makes parts for his engines on a regular basis, and does this because he enjoys it, not as a career anymore.

SO let me know what info you have...

Marc

Idahocannibal

#2 Post by Idahocannibal »

I have a bad flywheel that I could send.

claas900

#3 Post by claas900 »

Id bet theres a few ppl out there with a few bad rigtside crank halfs. Theres a ton of spun flywheels. He needs to know that the flywheel charges out batts,and its also a crank posion finder for the ecu.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Cool!Timbo has all my junk cranks.Hope this happens.I would say alot of us would pay $150 for a known good flywheel.Hope he can do it for that.

Mjollnir

#5 Post by Mjollnir »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Feb 25 2007, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cool!Timbo has all my junk cranks.Hope this happens.I would say alot of us would pay $150 for a known good flywheel.Hope he can do it for that.

Good deal, Steve. I think that number sounds doable. He does know that there is a tone ring on the flywheel for the crank sensor, and also that there are magnets epoxied on it for the stator. He didn't seem to think either of those issues would present a probleml. If you can get Tim to send me that shaft and whatever it's attached to, that would be very helpful toward getting this moving!

He has contacts all over the place, so things like hardening and cryo won't be a problem if it's necessary.

Tell me this, what do you think, ideally, would be the best way to make it? I just want to give him input from the experts here. Machined completely out of billet steel? Aluminum? Another material? Two piece like stock? I think steel would be the best, but I'm no expert by any stretch.

Can someone post a comprehensive set of pictures for me? Front, back, closeups, etc.?

Thanks,
Marc

J. Delaney

#6 Post by J. Delaney »

I don't know if billet aluminum would hold up, but it would be interesting to try one out. I think two or three weights would work: lighter than stock, stock, and heavier.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

Definitly steel.Just like most others.Big rivets holding hub on with flywheel sandwiched between hub and a plate.Trick would be to equal or less wieght.I wont buy a heavier one.Strokers break them most and they dont need a heavier flywheel.

wanablaze

#8 Post by wanablaze »

Yep, I don't care if my bike has to idle at 3,000rpm, I'd prefer lighter. Same weight would be ok, but definitely not heavier.

Sandstorm

#9 Post by Sandstorm »

After installing the -16oz flywheel on the 450 Yoshi I would say go w/ a -2 to about a -4oz.. The Z flyhweels are 60oz so -16 is slightly more then 1/4. Ours are like 22-24oz I beleive so adjust accordingly.. Of course I would be leaning toward a -4/-6 for dunes..

kenny mariscott

#10 Post by kenny mariscott »

I was going to talk to the guys who have these 100h.p. banshee's and see who makes those fly wheels, might be a good possibilty if we can get some interest and an order of 50 or more. There's power in numbers. I really think it could be done!