The X pipe

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

#1 Post by cannondale27 »

This is a hand built exhaust.Not production.It is a prototype.I made up a list of every concern and upgrade I would like in a pipe and told the X maker to go for it with goal of beating the TiExhaust and 54hp I got with Happyboymotor with Ti pipe.Took quad there wed. and much to my suprise it was done thurs.Nice.Went to get it today.All I can say is this is different for sure.No other pipe is anything like this one.Now being a prototype it was pieced together.I cannot find any dimension on headpipe that is smaller than TiPipe.Now radical bends which were done to absolutly eliminate any interference with axle may hurt power.Dont know since if you look close it is actually like a 2smoke pipe before silencer.Runner length is about 1/4 in longer than Ti different bends make it look shorter.Core is 2.5 in core silencer accepts SuperTrapp discs and any outlet.Tomorrow It hits dyno we will see if it can make new 450 record or meet its fate in scrap bin.

Thanks for encouragement of R&D guys and UPS man who gratiously put off building of his motor so I could go dyno this pipe.I whined about other pipes and these guys basicly said if you dont like it do it yourself so here first step is.

[attachment=3031:X_pipe_001.jpg][attachment=3032:X_pipe_003.jpg][attachment=3033
:X_pipe_008.jpg][attachment=3034:X_pipe_009.jpg][attachment=3035:X_pipe_010.jpg][
attachment=3036:X_pipe_011.jpg][attachment=3037:X_pipe_013.jpg][attachment=3038:X
_pipe_017.jpg][attachment=3041:X_pipe_019.jpg][attachment=3040:X_pipe_016.jpg][at
tachment=3042:X_pipe_020.jpg]

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

There's only one way to find out if it friggin works and thats to try it. It does look kinda wierd but who gives a crap as long as it works. And if it doesnt then have him reshape it and try again. Thats what R@D is all about. To bad about only getting .025 bigger ID but any bigger should be better.
Cmon Ive got your 55hp club decals right here.

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Tomorrow will hit dyno.According to AnnimalsCannibal any increase in size is factored by 4x for flow.The radical bends really arent as bad as it looks since outside of curves is pretty gradual.Thing that really bothers me is where right small pipe merges into the "trap" lot of it is covered by the union.

Also if every bit of weld in Tipipe isnt removed the ID is actually smaller than shown.Dang I am not going to be able to sleep tonight.Think Chris at Mikes would open dyno now? biggrin.gif

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

I owe,I owe its to the dyno I go! laugh.gif

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

Just got a phone call . Sounds like the only thing thats going to flow down that sewer pipe is turds. A new dyno record has been set using Wistech's bag of tricks.LOL Decals are on the way. Good job.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

I guess its not as bad as I thought.Beats Ti on lower mid.If you look at AFR very begining of run it is real rich.I could not get rid of that for x-pipe.I spent alot of time tuning just for this pipe.Timbo might have gotten a little more out but I honestly did my best.The map I ended up making the most with for X-pipe produced the least for Ti-pipe.Map shown for Ti is one I made last week.Very different maps are required for most power when changing pipes.Anyway part of conditions for X-pipe were for it to beat or at least equal hp of Ti pipe.The rich condition at begining is very noticable when riding the x-pipe and it doesnt rev out as quick as Ti.So it will be redone.In developing YFZpipe it took us 3 rebuilds and a few core experiments to come up with pipe that worked.Its hard to be patient but it will be worth it.

All runs with one week old mobile pump gas,cyclone,foam filter.No tricks dynoed as it would be raced.
[attachment=3056:Ti_vs_X_pipe.jpg]

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

Dam you FMF (pounds fist into ground) dam you all to ****!!!!!!!!!

Dont worry the Ti pipe is going down . Eventually

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

I spent alot of time on bottom end of map both last line and entire map to improve all areas in addition to going for max with bottom line in hope that I could tune its deficencys out.Not happening.Its really not bad but no need to settle for anything just yet.

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

biggrin.gif Yea just like Planet of Apes!
Here are all the runs done on the Happyboy motor.Today I took time to write all the changes I made in description but sometimes it seems it doesnt show up.Not sure why.Anyway it can be figured out by using the times shown when your pointer is over it.I do three runs for every change I make.

First ones were last week.Filter,Mobile pump gas,Ti pipe Trail Ready
2nd was today Filter,mobile pump gas,X-pipe,Timap, trail Ready
3rd was today Filter,mobile pump gas,X-pipe,Timap, trail Ready
4th today Ti pipe, filter,mobile pump,x-pipe map,Trail Ready
5th today Ti pipe, filter,mobile pump,Ti Map,Trail Ready
6th today Ti pipe,No filter,U4 Race gas,Ti map,Untrailable
7th today Ti Pipe,no filter,U4 Race Gas,Ti map,stator unplugged,Untrailable

Please look at these and say what you think.Timbo,Wistech and a few of us analyze them but always miss stuff.Its entirely possible I went to far or not enough.Suggestions will be gratefully accepted.Really.
[attachment=3058:trail_motor.zip]

Sand_Blaster

#10 Post by Sand_Blaster »

Looks like a wicked exhaust.