The exhaust to beat the FMF

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

#11 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes the version I dynoed last is going to be trail motor exhaust.Need to get quad there again for a bigger piped version.

Happyboy

#12 Post by Happyboy »

As long as there isn't a drag race at that time I will be glad to send the duals out. I want to get them coated anyway so that might be a good time. smile.gif Also, dont' forget Tim has a set of duals for the Ti mufflers.

I gotta wonder something also. Mike was begged to get the duals made and while he did take a while all the interest has dried up. As a community we can't keep doing this to people. How many times has someone stepped up to get us something and we either turn on them to get it somewhere cheaper or lie about wanting it in the first place? Its happened to Brad, myself, doug, tim, Mike, and countless others.

Sorry for the rant, just wanted to remind some people that told mike deposits were on the way that they might want to drop him a note.

cannondale27

#13 Post by cannondale27 »

I hear what you are saying about efforts made and then no return but that is just the way it is out of neccesity.Idea of making dual exhaust has been around forever and Mike is to be HUGELY congratulated on being first to do it.However just because he was first to deliver doesnt mean he must be the only one.Things can always be improved upon and some will do just that.Hope that never changes.Has happened to me more than once it should not be taken personally.People have families,bills etc. other than Cannondales life is cold and hard but priorities must be followed.Most spend $ accordingly.Lack of sales on Mikes pipes I am sure is because folks arent sure yet that they are way to go.Not enough is known yet.

Do people who take effort to get something done deserve credit?Of course it is a MAJOR pain.But if delivery,quality, performance and price are not as good as can be do they deserve a sale?NO.

My advice "Do these type of things because YOU want to.If it turns out great and people jump on bandwagon and you make some $ then that is just a well deserved bonus."

wistech

#14 Post by wistech »

Took the speed out and got to ride the 460 for the first time today . Right off the bat its obvious there was a change with the engine. The previous dyno settings would not let the quad start instantly like before . It had to be primed several times even when warn to start. Cranking the offset from .8 to 1.1 seemed to cure the starting issue but was still a little finicky until warmed up. For better oe worse is yet to be determined. I had not run a 460 before so I cant judge what the pipe did yet. It pretty much just spun the snot out of the 22" razr's on the gravely trails we were on so low end was hard to tell. For sure it has a marked improvement over the moto's 432 ported motor but not the absurd torque of the 470 stroker. It does feel to pull similar to the 470 in the mid and especially top end which was what this motor was all about. The engine sounded good and other than the usual occurance where the speed will just die and roll to a stop for no reason once per ride. ( I am naming this phenomena "sneezing") It ran perfect the whole time after that. It can be lugged down and doesnt complain about low revs like the stock motor does. The fan never ran even when bogging along. The guy I was there with was a newb on a 350 rancher so extremely slow was the order of the day with the occasional full power straightaway runs. For sure the motor would be a good backup to the 470 for racing and if not for the high compresion would be fine for trail riding . The high lift cams seem to be doing fine as the engine niose never changed during the ride and power did improve as the engine broke in more.
I think a muffler with bigger cores will be required and hope to have a set ready to try out at the dyno.
As far as using this quad for exhaust testing forget it. The exhaust manifold is custom built to the head and will never be removed. I will build another universal manifold for an exhaust shootout. Does anyone have an Alien exhaust they could borrow me for testing or anything with separate cores.

The one thing I really like about the exhaust is how quiet it is . No quiet cores but is similar to the fmf with one.

Had a little fun on the trail . Came up to a pond and while the rancher was playing in the deep water I decided to see how the exhaust sounded under water. I made it half way across the pond and found out that running without a stator cover makes for a cool water display when the flywheel is spinning at 5000 rpm submerged. I almost forgot that I have a pod filter or i would have tried gas cap deep water. sad.gif

Happyboy Whats up with the duals ? Have there been any changes made to the prototype ? Since Timbo's tests were inconclusive a shootout is in order dont you think? After I get a few dyno research runs Ill bet we will have some more data to go by for beating the fmf by a couple of hp instead of just matching it.

I will post pics but this exhaust has some god awfull mig welds all over it as its just for testing. If it does make power I will build some pretty ones with the tig welder. Im sure it will take double the time as this complete system took me at least 12 hours to build from scratch . The manifold and the muffler taking up the bulk of the time.

wistech

#15 Post by wistech »

pic

wanablaze

#16 Post by wanablaze »

John, I tried calling you. I think when you sent the pics my they got broken down...

wink.gif

If they get any bigger, they are super blurry.

wistech

#17 Post by wistech »

Ive been a busy boy lately. I made the adapter to fit a Ti headpipe on the custom exhaust manifold for quick changes.

T-Rex

#18 Post by T-Rex »

Very nice looking wistech, hope they work out. I want something that out performs the FMF TI exhaust. Look at www.barkersperformance.com

wistech

#19 Post by wistech »

Does the black widow have a flange on the headpipe so that it might slip on. Whats the ID of the flange. I can slip a 1.285 flange over the manifold tubes but it has to be smacked on for a leak free fit. I think a dmc off a raptor should be a handy off the shelf muffler to adapt.
I feel confident there is power to be gained. Just need to keep trying different things . Big pipe ,long pipe,short pipe, different cans. The right combo is just around the corner. Mikes duals were a good head start and maybe some test data here will help him make the perfect system.

cannondale27

#20 Post by cannondale27 »

Are you going to be able to get the X2-pipe on there?