Larger tank for bike

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
knobby

#1 Post by knobby »

Like I said, now that I got my bike running again, I can now do a few projects.

On the list for the bikes is a different (goal is quieter) muffler and a larger tank. I may start making radiator guards again if there is the interest to do it. I know that was like pulling teeth the last time to get enough interest though.

Out of curiosity, how many out there would be interested in signing up for a larger tank if that was to happen? I am quite certain that I can get close to .75 gal. more into a tank design.

My goals for the tank design would be:
-better air flow around filter
-.75 gal more fuel (~20 more miles on a tank. That would put the range close to 90 miles)
-Natural color to see fuel level easily (colors may be an option, or custom labels)

Does anyone know if they are currently using a x-linked material on the tanks?

Does anyone else have any other suggestions? It would would be great to incorporate any other ideas.

Thanks for any input.

BTW, is there a need for any mod's to the quad tank?

Kevin

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

Hold off on the muffler idea, I just got wind of a possible solution for the motorcylces. The only thing holding it up is the various designs of headpipes. I am a quad nut and don't know every option on the motorcyles. So hopefully the motorcycle community can document the different head pipe styles (I know of 2, the MX400/X440s & the dual pipe to the muffler design used on the later models) and this project can get off the ground.

Now for the fuel tank. The tank idea is fantastic provided it's doable. The original was a roto mold design and the molds are gone from what I hear and very expensive to reproduce. The early model m/c tanks were clear as are the quad tanks. The only quad issues are on the 250r conversion set-ups where the seat/subframe area is lowered and you have to use the upper area of the tank only on the replacement tank. I would love to see a two piece tank with an upper and lower tank with a hose from one to the other. If you ever see a picture of a quad tank look in the very middle of the tank where the tank is the thinnest and that is the area that disappears with the conversion.

Good Luck.