Woo-Hoo.... FLYWHEELS!!!

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
wayneschofield

#11 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Jul 23 2007, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome Wayne!

Can the magnet array be segmented instead?, to use a multitude of smaller magnets all butted together?

It could be but I had visions of magnets flying over my shoulder as I tried to hold them in place with the poles opposing!

There are essentially six magnetic fields within the one ring. This makes the eighteen poles of the stator generate three phases of electricity (hence three stator wires). To use seperate magnets we would need to use twelve magnets with poles placed N in, N out, N in N out to create six N/S fields.

If we used Neodynamum....mumble... not sure how to spell it type magnets the field would be very strong, BUT, they decay in strength by 20% every time they go above 60 degC. I'm not sure how hot they would get in service at full capacity, does anyone know? (this is the main reason I chose to vent the face, thinking that we could keep them a tad cooler in service)

wayneschofield

#12 Post by wayneschofield »

What? I just said that already.... Is there an echo in here?

peterock

#13 Post by peterock »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ Jul 23 2007, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perhaps we need vented carbon fiber flywheel covers, a-la Ducati... Then again that wouldn't keep the sand out.... sigh

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. Would be a bling item for sure though. Then again, clear cover with the face chrome plated..................that would be a little bling, bling.

claas900

#14 Post by claas900 »

$200 is really good. If more were built would it lower the price much? How many are going to be in a run? I'm down for 1 flywheel maybe even 2 I need to talk to my Buddie. Looks good Tho.

timbomoose

#15 Post by timbomoose »

Now that's what i'm talking about! Nice job Wayne! Keep up the good work!

cdale55

#16 Post by cdale55 »

Put me in for one ! And if your taking orders I will take 2. Let me know and I will send the money out ! Great Job !!!! I think the weakest link on a cannondale might be fixed !!

wayneschofield

#17 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (cdale55 @ Jul 24 2007, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Put me in for one ! And if your taking orders I will take 2. Let me know and I will send the money out ! Great Job !!!! I think the weakest link on a cannondale might be fixed !!

I'm working on all the weak links I can see....

Trouble, is I just found another one.... well a source of improvement at least.... liners now....

wayneschofield

#18 Post by wayneschofield »

GULP!

Spoke with a very knowledgable magnet chap this morning and this is what he had to say in a nutshell......

To have some new Ferrite magnets made would cost around ????10,000 for the tolling because of the pressing pressures needed. We could have them made with a thicker wall to a larger OD to increase magnet strength, however, 10k is a lot of dosh.

To have a moulded Neodynium composite ring made would cost around ????3,500 for the tooling. These could be made to stock dimensions and would have about three times stronger magnetic-flux than stock.

You couldn't just 'glue' Neo magnets into the flywheel rim as they're just too strong (I think he said more than forty times as strong), they would cause a permanent flux in the stator and it wouldn't function properly afterwards.

We could, however, take composite Neo 'blocks' and machine them with tapered sides and bond them together into a ring. this could then be turned to dimensions we need for our application. This would ,again, increase the flux three-fold over stock.

I haven't spoken to anyone at Optima, who own SEM AB the makers of our flywheels, to see if I can just buy magnets from them. I have a supplier in Sweden in a related industry so I'll see if he knows anyone there.

NRath

#19 Post by NRath »

Keep plugging away!! I know there are a lot of people counting on your results.

That's a fantastic looking piece of machining you've got there so far...

Happyboy

#20 Post by Happyboy »

Wayne, adopt me!! smile.gif