Woo-Hoo.... FLYWHEELS!!!

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
wayneschofield

#21 Post by wayneschofield »

Adopt you? I have a house full as it is!

You'd all love it here, seven acres of 'garden' full of quad track, fourteen quads (at the last count) to play on (and fix).....

Happyboy

#22 Post by Happyboy »

14 quads?!! how many people in your family ride?

wayneschofield

#23 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Jul 27 2007, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
14 quads?!! how many people in your family ride?

I have six kids. We all ride, apart from my ex-wife (I'd have to 'fix' one up good for her)... Even the girlfriend rides.

I rarely get around to selling the 'old' quads when we get new ones to replace them. At one point we had eighteen! I won't sell anything unless I know it is completely 'right', and I have little time to do much 'fixing up' ready for sale.... Thanks Cannondale!!!

It's handy having some spare, small, ones for when freinds bring their kids round to play. The auto gears makes it easy for them to ride the smaller quads.... We have heaps of room away from the road so it's cool... My kitchen looks like a helmet shop!

wayneschofield

#24 Post by wayneschofield »

Here's a bit of a group pic. The Paptor in the forground is a mate's, and so is the Banshee. My 13 y-o daughter beat the guy on the Paptor and she was just on the 250 Bear-Tracker. Man those 660's are a right pudding....

wayneschofield

#25 Post by wayneschofield »

pics from the 'garden'......

cannondale27

#26 Post by cannondale27 »

Wow!How about a group ride to England??

wayneschofield

#27 Post by wayneschofield »

I ordered five more flywheels yesterday, with some slight tweaks to the design taking people's suggestions into account.

They are really 'pre-production prototypes', but should be pretty much there. We're going to have to use parted-out magnets for the moment.

I heard back from the 'magnet man' this morning too, basically very expensive (thousands) whichever way we approach it. I am still having some segments made so that I can machine them to fit just to see if the composite neodinium is actually a better way.

Until I get to speak with Opcon, re genuine magnet supply, I will needsome 'scrap' flywheels to part the magnets out. I have got a way to do it now that seems to work pretty well.

I made a spindle to balance them last night too......

wayneschofield

#28 Post by wayneschofield »

Well, the first flywheel dedicated for test purposes is on it's way to the US in the morning. Magnet mounted and balanced. It actually wasn't out of balance 'till the magnet was fitted....

Ron Dernowski was voluteered by KDeal to do the test this weekend in some endurance race so, Good luck Ron, the UPS man should be at yours before 10.30, Wednesday morning.....

I could only send the one flywheel as yet, I have four more earmarked to be sent over for testing as soon as I get some old flywheels to get the magnets out. I need them to fit in the new flywheels.

I will try to speak to Opcon in the morning. They should be able to tell me if they are prepared to sell us the original design magnet, or a substitute for it at least....

cannondale27

#29 Post by cannondale27 »

Wayne I got ahold of 2 from Wistech.I was going to try the EDM machine route for cutting magnet out.If it doesnt work one will be shipped your way.

toothandnail

#30 Post by toothandnail »

How's things coming along ,I'll need 4 eventually, I need 1 now, (see post in powertrain thread)