E85 Gas

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
peterock

#11 Post by peterock »

by theory I'm going to disagree with Mr. Dyno man.

His idea sounds good, but I would think it wouldn't raise the compression. Your opening into the cylinder is a set size, the more fuel that goes through the less air that can go through. The cylinder is going to suck in the same volume weather it is air or fuel.

With a turbo it is obviously different as there is something forcing the air into the chamber.

unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif

I was would say too many variables to make that conclusion right now. Machine may have very well blown a gasket regardless of the fuel.

cannondale27

#12 Post by cannondale27 »

Good point Pete.So you are saying the 30% extra fuel we added displaced an amount air.If thats true which in theory it should be.What happens when the air and fuel are compressed?Air is compressed easily but fuel(liquid) is not.More fuel in cylinder would therefore mean higher compression.Right?

peterock

#13 Post by peterock »

I can't see that being enough to raise compression that much though. Think how much fuel is actually 30%.

Maybe do a compression test?

no, that wouldn't work.................how could we find out?

Maybe ask time how much material it takes to increase the compression in our cylinders. Say the volume of aluminum. Then there has to be a formula to determine the volume of compressed fuel???

cannondale27

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

Its alot of aluminum.Piston has to conform to chamber very closely even at 14:1.But that just means less room for the liguid.No biggie for us though since Cannondales dont blow head gaskets.We got O-rings thankfully.I believe that is why the E85 gave such a low end and torque increase and very little hp.Higher compression normally does same thing.Someone must have tested this with some kind of sensor to measure realtime C.R.'s Google time.I cant sleep anyway!

cannondale27

#15 Post by cannondale27 »

Okay from what I get off internet adding more fuel whether gas,alcohol or N2O will increase cylinder pressure.Compression ratio is just a measurement of volume.Nothing more.So its really pressure we are talking about.

m_mcgranahan

#16 Post by m_mcgranahan »

HI,

Some more info, I found a site that sells viton o-rings taht are rated for ethanol use. http://www.oringswest.com/, so we might be able to get that part fixed. I also found that the Chevy HHR is now flex fuel rated, so it should have an e85 ready fuel pump that MIGHT fit our needs. Then its just fuel lines.

God bless...

Mark

m_mcgranahan

#17 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hi,

I also found that teflon hose with braided Stainless braid outside would be able to stand up to the ethanol. I would how that would do with the heat vibration etc of the quads?

God bless...

Mark

cannondale27

#18 Post by cannondale27 »

Wistech has been making stainless/teflon hose kits for quite awhile.I believe Kdeal sells them.

m_mcgranahan

#19 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hey

Just curious, what was your peak torque with the e85? DO you have the torque graph that you could post so we could see what the curve looked like with e85 and 14 to 1 etc?

Thanks

God bless...

Mark

cannondale27

#20 Post by cannondale27 »

Remember I had that hesitation develop when I added 30% for E85 so I believe torque has more potential than this with tuning.The race gas there is no hesitation at all and its tuned well.