Rear Oil Inlet

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
wayneschofield

#11 Post by wayneschofield »

I haven't looked at it but if some have an issue with oil filling the case when stored could the machine not be tilted over or stood on its nose to reduce the 'head' of oil....?

I guess you might need to re-route a breather or something to stop it bleeding onto the garage floor.....

cannondale27

#12 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes that would have to work.

Another option would be to add a plug above the drain plug on motor.Just leave the plug out if storing any excess oil would drain out and if left out it would be noticed without hurting anything.

fig

#13 Post by fig »

Instead of a manual valve how about a 12v valve? Motor on it works, motor off it shuts off. I haven't look to see if anyone makes something like that?

thedeatons

#14 Post by thedeatons »

I know you guys are referencing my running 1 qt in the engine. If one of these fixes cures the hydrolocking issue we have had, then I am all for it.

One thing I am not sure about though, is the fact that with a lot of our quads we still get puking from 1.5 qts, which is another reason why I mentioned reducing oil input after an oil change. I honestly don't think the puking question has been answered.

I am anxious to start checking some of the spare oil pumps I have though, just hoping for a thorough write up from an "oil pump rebuild" veteran... smile.gif

Canniboomer

#15 Post by Canniboomer »

...yep venting is a good subject, and has been overlooked.
I did not bring this up yet here, since this has not been required for most machines, as many are using full oil (presumably around 1.5 to 1.75 quarts inside) and still don't really puke.

But, increasing the venting capacity is good for any machine, and our higher displacement creations could certainly use some more... this setup cured one machine last season, but how it was puking was a bit surpirising... I'll start a separate thread on that soon.

cannondale27

#16 Post by cannondale27 »

I have a fancy PCV valve that I am going to be installing in vent line.It is 100% seal for inward flow.Not a regular PCV.If all other vents are closed this should create a vacuum in the case and eliminate oil from blowing out under high rpm.Will post a pic.

thedeatons

#17 Post by thedeatons »

Awesome! Okay, now I am feeling a lot better about this. Perhaps it was simply another design flaw that we are band-aiding or dealing with. I actually never thought of re-routing the vent from the ECu tray into an NPT/nipple going back into the frame! That would solve that problem!

I wonder if we could simple drill through a section of the dipstick and install a barb. That way you get the oil return, but still have the functionality of the dispstick.

I really like where this is going guys. Thanks for addressing my concerns without attacking me! smile.gif