"I don't need no stinkin' dyno!"

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
Easy E

#1 Post by Easy E »

I've been messing around with installing AFR meters on my 'Dales. The first completed is my FX400 (converted to MC1000, hydro clutch motor, 2.2MM stroker, K&N etc). Standard single wire O2 sensor installed (NTK O2 sensor #29100) and an Autometer Pro-Comp Ultra-Lite guage. Real cool to watch with quick response time, but hard to read in bright sunlight as the guage is designed to be installed in an automobile dash.

The meter certainly does react to changes in the fuel via D&M (cool). The guage generally shows one segment of the LED's lit with one on either side flickering while running. When the throttle is blipped, it responds instantly with a sweeping type motion like a needled guage would. I attempted to catch a pic of the meter in action (the photo with several segments lit at once). I have a header modified for my X440s and is next on the list for a guage.

Just a few pics of the install and O2 sensor location:

speedracer

#2 Post by speedracer »

Thats cool,whats the price on that set-up?

Easy E

#3 Post by Easy E »

$17 for the O2 sensor, $30 for the guage via eBay

Happyboy

#4 Post by Happyboy »

you might want to spend up to a digital meter. I used that very one a long time ago and it was giving me all sorts of bad readings. I finally went with a LM-1 from Innovate. Great investment and I tune other quads with it.

kdeal

#5 Post by kdeal »

Now if you had the IPAQ option for your D&M kit you could mount everything up and view it while you ride!

peterock

#6 Post by peterock »

I have the same set up. the dyno is still better but this will get you in the ball park. I don't have mine mounted like that though. I change the exhaust out once I know the readings look good.

Easy E

#7 Post by Easy E »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Jun 8 2008, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now if you had the IPAQ option for your D&M kit you could mount everything up and view it while you ride!

Actually, I do! No time to mess with that at St Anthony's this coming weekend - but will in the near future.

Easy E

#8 Post by Easy E »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Jun 8 2008, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you might want to spend up to a digital meter. I used that very one a long time ago and it was giving me all sorts of bad readings. I finally went with a LM-1 from Innovate. Great investment and I tune other quads with it.

I'll be doing a base setting with this guage and comparing to spark plug/exhaust readings and butt dyno to verify how accurate it is. The guage doesn't show any odd fluctuations and seems consistant with how the quad is running as well as showing immediate results with D&M tuning.

Canniboomer

#9 Post by Canniboomer »

Eric's not trying to dump on Dyno's at all,...even though the title of this thread may so indicate! wink.gif . It's just that riding time is very precious, and we would rather be riding than spending day-trips to the Dyno (two hours away),... and then still not sure of behavior from sea-level to St. Anthony's, etc. Having an onboard AFR will be very handy, and we have different mount options coming. A horizontal gauge-mount will be shaded and more readable (like in a convertible auto for example). But this hummer, for sure, will be very useful during his upcoming break-in trip on the new motor. And, the readings will change as anything changes with the machine over time -- like general wear and loss of compression, sparkplug starting to erode, fuel lines or filter plugging up, air filter choked, injector problems, different fuel or crap fuel, etc.... you can hardly beat the real-time monitoring benefits of an on-board AFR, and the fun is a free bonus.

Easy E

#10 Post by Easy E »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Jun 8 2008, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Eric's not trying to dump on Dyno's at all,...even though the title of this thread may so indicate! wink.gif .

Yes, the title is meant "tongue-in-cheek" biggrin.gif

The project started as a "I wonder if..." mod as well as being informational.