Cyclone Intake for the Dirtbikes

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
thedeatons

#1 Post by thedeatons »

So, I am nearing the rebuild of my ported 432 to go into the E440 I have. The head was ported by Timbo, and I plan to use a Cyclone velocity stack, with no airbox. The bike will be used for commuting on the street, and will get a paddle tire for the occasional desert trip. No water holes will be involved, so I am not worried about water entry.

This biggest problem that I have seen so far is the lack of room for a giant air filter, which is needed to optimize aiflow into the Cyclone. On the quads we use a TRX250R filter which is pretty big. No chance of fitting one of those on the bike. My friends have used a short dirtbike velocity stack inside a mandrel bent 90 degree piece of stainless tubing, with a tapered cone air filter on the end, but the filters have to be pretty small to fit between the frame spars.

I have this custom made filter leftover form a Moto project a couple years ago, and I realized the other day that it may work great for the Cyclone/dirtbike project. No-Toil made it for me, custom design using my drawings. It only cost me $21 and I am sure they could duplicate it... Thoughts?

P.S. I may have to send it back and have them install a larger flange for the Cyclone, I am basically showing this as an option of what we could do.

UpsMan

#2 Post by UpsMan »

I have to say I never would have thought of that!

Easy E

#3 Post by Easy E »

It looks good - given the small amount of space between the bike frame spars, a fully custom unit would be a great way to go.

fig

#4 Post by fig »

Good idea James. It should work good.

thedeatons

#5 Post by thedeatons »

I will have an update on a working, dyno proven idea from Canniboomer soon... Stay tuned.