Wayne Schofield Spun Flywheel

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
claas900

#1 Post by claas900 »

First I want to say thanks for letting me test this flywheel. Though it did last only about ???? of a tank and I would say about 35 or so drag passes. This flywheel was on a 495 Tim built pump gas motor, sand ridden only. I do have a small list of comments/improvements I'd like to see.
1. It's too heavy even though Tim did cut off the outer ring on it.
2. I did all my tuning with a stock flywheel and put Wayne's on last minute then loaded up bike, well after Wayne's flywheel spun I noticed a higher idle and more power. But to be fair I still need to hook bike up to D&M to make sure idle is in fact higher. If I had to guess the timing isn't right on it. When I was running Wayne's flywheel then running the stock one I was 90% sure it pulled better.
3. Where it spun at I noticed on the inside it is somewhat radiuses but on the outside there was no radius. See pics.
4. This flywheel has top notch machine work done to it. To say I was impressed is an understatement.
5. I had no charging issues and the magnets still look to be in place.
6. I do think this is going to be a great fix with a few small improvements.
I do have some more pics if anybody wants to see more.

thedeatons

#2 Post by thedeatons »

Dude..... Crazy.

claas900

#3 Post by claas900 »

You know what's really funny is I have about 4 to 5 tanks of gas thru a new stock flywheel and still going.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Jul 16 2008, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know what's really funny is I have about 4 to 5 tanks of gas thru a new stock flywheel and still going.

Now that you said that it's going to spin next time you ride it.
I found the center hub needs to be extra strong on my first flywheel as well. I just welded the outside. After welding the inside as well I havent had an issue since.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Well glad it got to right person to test it. Thanks. If any damage was done to your motor I would like to help out.

SlOoT

#6 Post by SlOoT »

My KTM also has a steel flywheel. At the area were it cracked in that picture the KTM flywheel is atleast 6mm thick. But also very heavy...

I realy hope there will be a bullet proof flywheel soon.

claas900

#7 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Jul 16 2008, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now that you said that it's going to spin next time you ride it.
I found the center hub needs to be extra strong on my first flywheel as well. I just welded the outside. After welding the inside as well I havent had an issue since.

Yup I'm sure it'll spin next time out. Sounds like you should send me yours and I'll see what I can do to it. Funny when this one spun I really didn't know what happened I was like #### what now. This flywheel was the last thing on my mind. LOL

claas900

#8 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jul 17 2008, 05:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well glad it got to right person to test it. Thanks. If any damage was done to your motor I would like to help out.

You know I was in the middle of nowhere and when I found the smoking gun I was so happy I didn't look at anything I just swapped it out. I'm sure everything is fine I did ride another hour or so afterwards Thanks for the offer.

wayneschofield

#9 Post by wayneschofield »

There was supposed to be a rad on the outside too but the machine shop missed it on the drawings, so hopefully not such bad news really.

Good job I didn't get fifty made like that though!

If it wasn't re-balanced after taking the rim off the outside then the oscillations would help to break it for sure.

I have had a minor redesign of the magnet mounting to make assembly better and easier. Good to see they stayed put so far though.

I originally added the flange around the outside to put degree markings on for accurate cam and ignition timing setup but, on reflection, a degree wheel can be mounted on a flywheel puller and pulled up tight enough to degree the cams well enough and most people would probably not bother checking the ignition accuracy anyhow.

It's going to be the end of the motorsport season over here before I will be able to get on and make a batch of updated ones, I'm afraid....

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

Wayne from looking at mine I see galling from the machining process right where his cracked on both inside and outside.Might be a stress point.
PM me your address so I can send you it back along with some spun flywheels.Your cams are holding up great.Have you seen the reports?Will be inspecting again within week.