4 piece swingarm pivots

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
Honda92

#1 Post by Honda92 »

Wistech and I tried to come up with a better system for the swingarm pivots. After having no luck at the local bearing store we decided to make a bushing system. I made some bushings up today to see if it would actually work. I installed them this afternoon and sure enough, there is zero side play and the swingarm pivots freely. I reused my outer seals, I wasn't going to put any seals on but I figured since they were there why not. Here are a few pics.

The new bushings

The old complicated mess

Without the seal

With the seal

Inside, that black part is the bushing you see. not the small seal

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Very nice! You have access to a C.N.C. Lathe? Going to make more? You could make the plastic bushing a hair shorter and stick a o-ring on the inside for a nice seal.

Honda92

#3 Post by Honda92 »

Yeah I have access to a couple CNC lathes and mills. I'm not sure if I'm going to make more at the moment, I kind of want to see if they are going to hold up. I could make the bushing shorter for a inner seal but I don't know if it is needed, that bushing is a tight fit.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

The center sleeves have been donated by Brad Oakley. They are prototypes cannondale pieces that never made it into production. The tag on them said they had 500,000 cycles with no wear. If the bushings hold up they could be made out of stainless steel and be permanenlty lubed or greased through the hollow updated swingarm bolts. Good work.

jesshamner

#5 Post by jesshamner »

If you want another tester send me a set. I have my swingarm off and changing out bearings right now. Are you using the needle bearings at all? Just a sleeve and bushing? I don't like the way the needle bearings fit in mine. One side is tight and doesn't seem like it rolls very well.

Or maybe you could send me some specs on it. My uncle has his own cnc and lathe. I'm sure he would love another project. smile.gif

2000ex

#6 Post by 2000ex »

I would be interested in a set. My Walsh swingarm has the old winky bushing setup and works great. I wanted to see if I could source those parts, however if this works I may take several of them.

thedeatons

#7 Post by thedeatons »

Delrin may be another idea, and it is somewhat of a self lubricating material....

This is good, I'm all for improvement!!! smile.gif

peterock

#8 Post by peterock »

Happyboy

#9 Post by Happyboy »

nice work, thats very cool and i would jump on a set. i wear out my pivot bearings more than i like.

TricityCdale

#10 Post by TricityCdale »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Oct 9 2008, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
nice work, thats very cool and i would jump on a set. i wear out my pivot bearings more than i like.

Amen to that. I'd also take a couple of sets. Let the testing begin!