$20 walmart driving lights

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
Honda92

#1 Post by Honda92 »

after riding with wistech in the winter months i know the stock dale headlights suck, i saw a set of 55w driving lights at walmart for $20 and thought i would see what i could do. i had to modify the bracket that came with the light and make a mount to bolt in the factory location to get them to sit at the right level inside the headlight covers. i also have the ajustability to move the light from left to right so it will actually sit in the center of the headlight cover unlike the stock ones, here are some pics.

cdale55

#2 Post by cdale55 »

Nice !!!!

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

That looks great! Are they alot brighter?

rayspeed

#4 Post by rayspeed »

I have bee using those lights for several years now but I mounted mine to the tabs that were in my 03's headlight covers. They are a great improvement over stock but I wish they threw a wider beam... they are kind of like a pair of spotlights. I was worried that the charging system would not keep up but it does just fine and even runs a 35 watt helmet light on top of everything else.
Ray

Honda92

#5 Post by Honda92 »

I'm not sure on the brightness yet, I only tested them in the backyard before I decided to cut all the brackets up but they seemed to throw a nice bright white light. It also seemed that they were in between a spot ana a flood light, it kinda reminded me of my headlight on my snowmobile. But who knows how much those headlight covers cut down on light projection. Either way at least they look decent lol.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

I run the stockers as a low beam and a pair of the cheap driving lights as the high beam. I use a dale kill switch to activate them. Just using the driving lights alone I had an issue with the up close lighting so i kept the stockers in. With all four on it is like the sun is back out. Never had an discharged battery running them all at once but I also shut offine isnt reving high. Of course winter trail riding its pretty much running at the rev limiter all the time and the fan never runs so maybe thats why I never had a problem.

desertbound

#7 Post by desertbound »

What is the maximum wattage the stock stator can handle. Are the stock lights 35w? I ride a lot at night. I was gonna buy HID's for the bars. Some good replacement halogens would be awesome too.

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

Im getting by at 180 watts with all four on.

ozarkdaler

#9 Post by ozarkdaler »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Nov 9 2008, 05:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I run the stockers as a low beam and a pair of the cheap driving lights as the high beam. I use a dale kill switch to activate them. Just using the driving lights alone I had an issue with the up close lighting so i kept the stockers in. With all four on it is like the sun is back out out. Never had an discharged battery running them all at once but I also shut offine isnt reving high. Of course winter trail riding its pretty much running at the rev limiter all the time and the fan never runs so maybe thats why I never had a problem.

What kind of driving lights are you using? Are they the same as in this post?

MyCannibal

#10 Post by MyCannibal »

Nice...I went with Dave's trailtech light setup...after using the steerable light I'll never go back to the stock setup...plus they are brighter...Its always great to see different things people come up with.