Crazy but kinda neat

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
aroracer72

#1 Post by aroracer72 »

This is a crazy idea of mine, but i think i could make it work. Thing is, will the flow be restricted too much??? BTW this is for a conversion......
Chad

aroracer72

#2 Post by aroracer72 »

hhmmmm interesting....... seems like a pain honestly.
Chad

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

Back in the 90's i did virtually the same exact thing to a 300ex . I replaced the upper frame tubes with thin wall 2 inch square tube and ran a big air filter up in front pretty much identical to your drawing . So I will say it will work.

haydug

#4 Post by haydug »

Chad, pm me status on the bicycle please, love to have it by X-mas, as it missed the birthday deadline.

cdale490

#5 Post by cdale490 »

QUOTE (aroracer72 @ Dec 20 2008, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a crazy idea of mine, but i think i could make it work. Thing is, will the flow be restricted too much??? BTW this is for a conversion......
Chad

Did you ever finish and if you did can you post some pics Iam thinking about doing the same thing.

Gibson265R

#6 Post by Gibson265R »

It seems like a bad idea...the straighter the airflow the better. It is the same with porting, any squared edges can reduce flow. In addition to that, our air boxes our not exactly HP friendly, which is what it looks like you would like to use. Im not saying it wont work, because it will....im just saying that you would be choking up that nice 450

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

I agree.It would end up being restricted.Better idea would be to use a downdraft carb or better yet FuelInjection so you dont have to modify the crossmember.Even those would still require almost a 90deg bend at head.With the cheap price of a 450r head though I would consider welding on a completely new intake like our cannondales have.More I think about it more best way seems like what we have already!The YZF Dale I saw had the crossmember for shock totally removed and a steel tubular one bolted to the main frame rails.It did not look safe.I think a half round could be cut out of that crossmember and a piece welded back into possibly give enough clearance but have you ever seen the size of a FCR Carb?Its very big.

SlOoT

#8 Post by SlOoT »

We did something like this with our first LC4 conversion, keeping the airfilter in stock position. But not through frame but with 2 big tubes to the carb. It ran like crap and would not rev higher then 6000 RPM.