Dual ss exhaust system

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
peterock

#11 Post by peterock »

They look a little low. Did you check to make sure the cans aren't going to get smashed by the rotor & sprocket? Looks nice so far though.

cannondale27

#12 Post by cannondale27 »

AWESOME!

wistech

#13 Post by wistech »

Are you running your mufflers outboard of the brake caliper/rotors? It looks like they are right under the subframe.

cannondale27

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

Oops yeah you forgot the spacer between the mount and subframe.I woulld suggest instead of doing it all over angle the can outward at the back.Would eliminate another bend which you will need otherwise.

Canniboomer

#15 Post by Canniboomer »

Yep for sure there is nothing wrong with angling the pipes outboard.
I think there has been an assumption and insistence on having the pipe (or 2) exactly in-line and parallel out the back.
But that is more difficult on a Cannondale, and will always require tighter inlet bends with any silencer.
When the WeaponMX guy was over here, we talked about allowing a slight outboard angle for better flow and ease of adapting the header.
Just FYI, the Moto Exhaust stand-off spacer, between the rear subframe tab and the strap,..... is 2" long.

peterock

#16 Post by peterock »

Dave,

That reminds me, not to hijack this thread, but Bill may be coming over once the weather impoves to borrow a bike so he can look at making an exhaust for them.

wistech

#17 Post by wistech »

Something tells me I found the "DOH" moment for Kwik man.LOL No big deal just a little more welding and cutting.

wistech

#18 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Jan 9 2009, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep for sure there is nothing wrong with angling the pipes outboard.
I think there has been an assumption and insistence on having the pipe (or 2) exactly in-line and parallel out the back.
But that is more difficult on a Cannondale, and will always require tighter inlet bends with any silencer.
When the WeaponMX guy was over here, we talked about allowing a slight outboard angle for better flow and ease of adapting the header.
Just FYI, the Moto Exhaust stand-off spacer, between the rear subframe tab and the strap,..... is 2" long.

We looked at building the exhaust at an angle on the walsh duals. But the issues that popped up turned into way to much work and added weight for most likely no gian. Its spooky enough with the stock spacer and flex involved on compresion of the suspension. Now look how much stress would be on a bracket thats 5 or 6 inches outboard more and an angled mounting flange. Then there is also no protection from the grab bar in the event of a mishap .
The reason we made our duals fit in the stock location was for quick dyno changes using the same brackets and mounting holes.
You were getting flow advice from a weapon mx guy? LOL

UpsMan

#19 Post by UpsMan »

[attachment=7918:DSC01492.JPG][attachment=7917:DSC01492.JPG]
QUOTE (Wistech @ Jan 10 2009, 02:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You were getting flow advice from a weapon mx guy? LOL

Come on John, why you always got to pick on everyone? It looks good, is durable, quiet enough, it may not flow enough to win a dyno competition, but it works in real world riding conditions.

wistech

#20 Post by wistech »

I apoligize to Kwik man if you think I am picking on you . If my observation is wrong then disregard. Ive been there and done that myself. As far as UPS comments on the weapon mx exhaust thanks for posting pics again . Maybe someday I too will want to waste $400 on a "pretty" exhaust instead of a performance one.
Just kidding . I will stick with what works instead.LOL