Gauling with Waynes cams...

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
m_mcgranahan

#1 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hi,

I have about 5 hours on a set of wayne's beta cams with a brand new set of stock buckets. This Gauling is pretty severe. I checked the oil flow through the as and they are getting plenty of oil.

peterock

#2 Post by peterock »

that sucks. looks like you need the bucket/cam combo for it to work then.

2000ex

#3 Post by 2000ex »

I would think they were made to run with his coated buckets...no?

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Timbo and I both had slight gauling when used with the buckets we were trying(Petes and Timbos)none with Waynes buckets.Thats really bad.What kind of oil did you run?

m_mcgranahan

#5 Post by m_mcgranahan »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Mar 11 2009, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Timbo and I both had slight gauling when used with the buckets we were trying(Petes and Timbos)none with Waynes buckets.Thats really bad.What kind of oil did you run?

I used standard motor oil for break in of the new rings (2 hrs of run time) and synthetic after that. So yeah, stock buckets no go for sure.

rayspeed

#6 Post by rayspeed »

Oh sorry to see that, procrastination on my part may pay off.... what prompted you to take a look? Metal or down on power?
So I gather I should wait to try mine until I can get a set of the latest coated buckets?
Anybody got a some to test... I have a motor on the bench about ready to slap a head on!
Ray

m_mcgranahan

#7 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hi Ray,

yeah I just wanted to check the valves were adjusted correctly and that the cams were doing alright. Ummm so yeah don't try these w/o coated buckets I guess.

God bless....

mark

wayneschofield

#8 Post by wayneschofield »

Bad news. Sorry to see it.

Did you use cam lube and run them in? New cams require very high sulphur content oil (generally called 'cam-lube) for them to break in correctly and they need to be run at typically 2000-2500 rpm for about twenty minutes immediately after startup.

If the above was done I can only assume the buckets were soft. Is there deposited metal on the lobes or is it pitting we see? It's hard to tell in the picture.

m_mcgranahan

#9 Post by m_mcgranahan »

QUOTE (Wayne Schofield @ Mar 12 2009, 01:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bad news. Sorry to see it.

Did you use cam lube and run them in? New cams require very high sulphur content oil (generally called 'cam-lube) for them to break in correctly and they need to be run at typically 2000-2500 rpm for about twenty minutes immediately after startup.

If the above was done I can only assume the buckets were soft. Is there deposited metal on the lobes or is it pitting we see? It's hard to tell in the picture.

Hi Wayne,

What you see is actually pitting, and no I missed seeing the proper break in proceedure for them somehow, so that might have made a difference.

God bless...

Mark

Ps. I guess its probably too late to try that break in lube now, huh?

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

Its very hard to tell the difference between pitting and metal being deposited although it really doesnt matter alot.With mine I took the cam to work and put it on a comparator and when at the right angle could see clearly that it was actually deposits of metal or whatever on the cam.Mark try taking a file to it.A everyday file wont touch the cam but might get some of the galling or loading off.Take a pic of the buckets also.