Working on a new larger injector option.

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
jinx44

#1 Post by jinx44 »

I just want to let everyone know that I am currently working on an easier, and hopefully more cost effective way of going to larger injectors.

After a long talk with the owner of a company that builds and rebuilds fuel injectors, I sent in 2 spare sets to have him see what he can do. He called this morning and said he recieved them, and was going to start on them tomorrow and give me a call with what he finds. Initial hopes are to be able to open them up to as much as 45-46lb/hr, which will be enough for some serious horsepower. Also, they can be adjusted for any amount of flow in between.

One of the 2 sets will be adjusted to flow appoximately 29 lb/hr, which is what I have found the specs on the popular harley injectors seem to be. The other set will be a max effort to see what the limit is.

Going this route should show several advantages over the current injector options. One advantage will be fitment issues. Since they are of course stock injector bodies, there will not be any issues with size, modifying the clips, etc. They will also have the correct notch on the body to fit in the intake like stock. Another advantage will be each set of injectors will come with a flow sheet. There should be an easy way to equate these numbers into a flow rate for tuning with D&M. Also, they will still be angle spray injectors like stock, so the spray will still aim the right direction for correct atomization.

I was going to wait until the final deal was done, but I would like everyones input on this. Several of you have a lot more time with these bikes than I do, and you may have insight that I haven't thought of. I welcome your comments.

I will be the "dealer" for the cannondale community. I will also know a price when he gets back with me after seeing how much time and work is required to modify each set. I do not plan to mark prices up, just do it as more of a service to everyone on here. My idea is to pick up about 5 used sets of injectors to send him, have sets here in stock, and send him 5 more when I run out. I will have options for out-right purchase, and exchange for stockers.

Also, wistech, C27, and others of the R&D team: If you would like to try a set to compare tuneability and power to your current injectors, I would be happy to set you up.

The company doing the work is a member of another forum I am on, and they build/rebuild injectors for the fastest EFI cars in the world. I have no doubt the quality of work will be top notch.

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

Interesting project. Not sure if its really needed as injectors of virtually any flow rate are readily available and fit better than the harley injectors. If you they can beat the cost at around $25 each they would be worth doing though. 29 pound injectors are overkill but 22 to 24 would be something to shoot for as it would be just about right for a stock map setting on a 45 to 55 horse engine. An improvement would be angling some of the holes at 11 degrees like the stockers.

jinx44

#3 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Jul 23 2009, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interesting project. Not sure if its really needed as injectors of virtually any flow rate are readily available and fit better than the harley injectors. If you they can beat the cost at around $25 each they would be worth doing though. 29 pound injectors are overkill but 22 to 24 would be something to shoot for as it would be just about right for a stock map setting on a 45 to 55 horse engine. An improvement would be angling some of the holes at 11 degrees like the stockers.

The holes will be angled just like stock.

So the commonly used harley injectors are only around 22-24 lb? I thought the numbers I saw were higher.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

Harley injectors are 29 pounds
Stock are 17 pound
After doing HP and flow calculations I started experimenting with some help from Marren fuel injection . We tried several injectors in the low 20's with exellent results without the absurd high price and sloppy fit of the harley style.
Stock injectors spray one stream straght and one at an angle FYI.
The nice thing about the higher flowing injectors is that small increases in fuel settings make noticable differences. You have to remember that we are running 2 injectors per hole so technically we need 34 pounds of fuel for a stocker and the since our big motors are making roughly 50 percent more power they need 50 percent more fuel .
Stock 40hp =34pounds
50 percent more power needs roughly 50 pounds of fuel max.
harleys deliver 58 pounds
So a 22 to 24 pound injector calculates out to 44 to 48 pounds of delivery .
About midway in between the two and still having a near stock duty cycle.
hope this makes some sense.
Many fuel injection sites have power per flow calculators which help out as well.

jinx44

#5 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Jul 24 2009, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stock injectors spray one stream straght and one at an angle FYI.

I never noticed that. Thanks for the info.