Crankcase Cover?

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
mtheaded

#1 Post by mtheaded »

Hi All,

Let me start by thanking everyone on here for the useful information they have been posting! I recently purchased an 01 Speed that needed a little TLC and this site has helped me solve every problem that I've encountered. I do have a question thought, i found that my plastic scavenge gears for the oil are shot, do i need to drop the motor in order to remove the crankcase cover? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

speedracer

#2 Post by speedracer »

It would seem that you could loosen some connections,support the engine in the front,remove the cradle and tilt the engine forward.I replaced my camcover with the engine installed,shouldnt be to bad.

Canniboomer

#3 Post by Canniboomer »

You will need to pull the motor....the sidecover will not come off with a forward tilt, and the best you could do is create maybe a 1/2" gap to work in,... and you will still have access and resealing problems. and can only reach
some bolts. The gears are shot for a reason, and you have find and fix that cause. The problem may be from under the crankplate in the scavenge pump, or from loose bolts floating around in the gearcase. You should also rinse the tranny section, and need the clutch basket out (at least) to do a good job of that. Have fun! wink.gif

mtheaded

#4 Post by mtheaded »

Thanks guys!...appreciate the input

Trouble

#5 Post by Trouble »

thats what sucks on the dales,removing the motor for simple tasks,thats why its good to make sure everything is on the up and up when you put it together,its not a Honda or Yamaha so you cant rush repairs and take short cuts because they can come back to bite you,i speak from experience.take your time and drop the motor and do it right.