Harley Injector Location

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
Kuma

#1 Post by Kuma »

Has anyone using the harley injectors done any experamenting with moving the injectors into the bungs alittle further?
It seems like running a reamer the size of the body into the bung about a 1/4" would allow the injector to sit in where I expect it to go. Has anyone done any dyno testing to see results?

ozarkdaler

#2 Post by ozarkdaler »

People have re-angled the injectors. It used to be the thing to do but I dont believe engine builders do them as much anymore. Wistech would be the one to ask. I have heard some horror stories about having them done but the people that were doing them may have not had enough experience. IDK

Kuma

#3 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (ozarkdaler @ Aug 1 2009, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People have re-angled the injectors. It used to be the thing to do but I dont believe engine builders do them as much anymore. Wistech would be the one to ask. I have heard some horror stories about having them done but the people that were doing them may have not had enough experience. IDK

I'm not talking about reangling, my head is a Timbo ported head for a 495, the harly injectors only go in to the taper on the injectors, the body of the injector doesn't go in so the nozzle is resessed into the bung.

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

Kuma,

It shouldn't hurt it one bit. In fact I like the idea, if you try it let me know how it turns out. Wisteh has pretty much stopped using the injector due to the fact that he has found some aftermarket injectors that fit better. I have three motors running the HD injectors, I hate to throw the money away and a better fit would be appreciated.

Kuma

#5 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Aug 2 2009, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kuma,

It shouldn't hurt it one bit. In fact I like the idea, if you try it let me know how it turns out. Wisteh has pretty much stopped using the injector due to the fact that he has found some aftermarket injectors that fit better. I have three motors running the HD injectors, I hate to throw the money away and a better fit would be appreciated.

so are you saying it would work better if the injectors were recessed further into the bung or it shouldn't hurt leaving it as is?
If there is no advantage moving them in then I don't see any point in extra maching work. I would think that Timbo would have done it and maybe have some data? or Wistech or C'27?

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Instead of sticking them in further just port the throat bigger. Makes more sense to me and gets rid of the two humps sticking out into the intake the stock injectors require. As a matter of fact this is one big reason the Harley injectors are my favorite and this has been done many times. All the talk of them being to loose in there or falling out is just talk. If done properly the stock modified clips hold just fine and a bit of silicone on injector o-ring ensures they arent about to come out.

Kuma

#7 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Aug 2 2009, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Instead of sticking them in further just port the throat bigger.Makes more sense to me and gets rid of the two humps sticking out into the intake the stock injectors require.As a matter of fact this is one big reason the Harley injectors are my favorite and this has been done many times.All the talk of them being to loose in there or falling out is just talk.If done properly the stock modified clips hold just fine and a bit of silicone on injector o-ring ensures they arent about to come out.

With the motor all together and ready to go in I don't want to do any porting, I would be willing to get a 39/64" reamer and cut them a little deeper, but if no known advantage, does the harley spray pattern clear the inside of the bung walls?

Miles Machine 202

#8 Post by Miles Machine 202 »

is there a specific harley injector or are all of them the same??

Kuma

#9 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (Miles Machine 202 @ Sep 27 2009, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

there are some different ones, I don't have the number now. if you don't get in a day or so, then I think I have the number at my work. Also I think that some other injectors work well also, Wisetech has been doing some checkouts.

Kuma

#10 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (Miles Machine 202 @ Sep 27 2009, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The harley injectore are used for the big motors.