rear brakes

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
MyCannibal

#1 Post by MyCannibal »

I went to change rear brakes on my quad and couldn't get enough room in between the brake pads for the rotor to fit in...its like the plunger on the caliper should be going in further or something?...I dont recall running into this problem before...the caliper is the original one which is about 8 years old...I did make some attempts at trying to squeeze the plunger in further by hand but wasnt sure if I would damage it...maybe it needs replaced?..any help would be appreciated.

peterock

#2 Post by peterock »

put like a c-clamp on it and press it back in.

haydug

#3 Post by haydug »

Check the piston for rust first before just shoving it back in, it is is pitted or rusted, it will tear the seal, then you will have to rebuild the caliper.

MyCannibal

#4 Post by MyCannibal »

thanks guys.

UpsMan

#5 Post by UpsMan »

In addition to what Haydug said, make sure your resivour has enough room for the brake fluid to go back into it.

NRath

#6 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (UpsMan @ Aug 10 2009, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In addition to what Haydug said, make sure your resivour has enough room for the brake fluid to go back into it.

This was my thought, exactly. You've probably added fluid over time- probably need to take some out. Better yet, take it all out and flush the system while you're at it.