super duty wrist pins

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
fast moto

#11 Post by fast moto »

I????????m sure the cp wristpins Tim sells are very high quality. In fact I????????m currently installing one of Tim's piston kits right now, but I was noticing these ape wristpins are a lot thinner than the cp wristpins and therefore probably lighter. I just wanted to know if you guys thought the ape wristpin would be equal in strength to the cp wristpin.

2000ex

#12 Post by 2000ex »

I snapped a CP wristpin, however the failure was the result of the wristpin circlip popping out after 2 years causing the wristpin to walk out of its bore smack the sleeve and cause catastrophy sad.gif

I think in extreme cases a thicker wristpin is a nice piece of mind insurance, but for 99% of the people the CP wristpins are fine.

wistech

#13 Post by wistech »

The two I snapped were a nitrous engine and a WWE design piston. CP uses the same design wrist pin as the stockers but if you want to go to extremes then a tool steel one is cheap insurance. It would be the same dimensionally. As far as wrist pins walking out I would like to see deeper snap ring grooves and have modified a few piston I was unsure. I have seen a CP piston fail as well but since its not guaranteed like the WWE ones I dont think its a needed thing to go to tool steel. They have more stiffiners under the piston crown.

2000ex

#14 Post by 2000ex »

Deeper snap ring grooves would be a good thing. I was surely impressed that after 2 hard seasons of full MX other than that happening, the moly coating was still on the piston and it never blew a puff of smoke. They are the best thing going for wear and performance. IMO the best bang for the buck is still the old stock Asso's for durability and insanely low price