FLYWHEELS

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

#21 Post by cannondale27 »

Take some pics MX.I am interested.

SlOoT

#22 Post by SlOoT »

If that flywheel passes the test then I would like to buy one. I have a cracked flywheel here (not spun btw) wich I can send to you Wayne.

NRath

#23 Post by NRath »

How many and who is getting the latest version flywheels? Have they received it, yet? Not that it really matters, but would like to know who we should be following up with.

wayneschofield

#24 Post by wayneschofield »

It's initially gone to get measured up for having a number of them made, then it's going to get fitted in a motor for testing by someone who breaks them a lot.

If it stays in one piece then a number more will be made to the same design.

If all goes well I hope to get a number, ten or fifteen maybe, back here in 'Blighty so I can mount magnets in them and supply people in need of them in Europe.

wayneschofield

#25 Post by wayneschofield »

I'm sure that when it's ready it will be made known.

I'm not sure it's the sort of thing a 'group buy' would make any difference on, since they're being done specifically for forum members anyway.

The run numbers and availability will be dictated by how quickly the magnets can be turned around anyway.

rayspeed

#26 Post by rayspeed »

What does it take to free up the magnets? Something to do with cutting on a lathe would be my guess... Maybe some members with the resources could take on this time consuming step.

MX Quad Dad

#27 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Oct 29 2009, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Take some pics MX.I am interested.

took a few today let me know if you need more info

wayneschofield

#28 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (rayspeed @ Oct 31 2009, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What does it take to free up the magnets? Something to do with cutting on a lathe would be my guess... Maybe some members with the resources could take on this time consuming step.

Yes, it's lathe work. Not difficult but time-consuming, which is something I don't have much of with work commitments and living on my own with five kids!

I made a plastic tool to hold the magnets concentric in the lathe, even if the flywheel is broken.

The tool is held in the chuck and the flywheel bolts to it. There is a guide diameter so you know how far to machine down.

When the magnet is parted off the rest of the flywheel the front face of it needs to be squared up. To do that I machined a tapered recess in my plastic tool and bolt a tapered steel plug into it, spreading the plastic tool and gripping the magnet ring with even force and a soft face from the inside, so the magnet doesn't get damaged by being 'gripped' by a chuck.

I machine the magnet ring with a very shallow taper, two degrees, across the OD so that it self-centres and will slide into the new flywheel without scraping off the epoxy that is there to bond it together. It means a small bead of epoxy round the inside rim of the flywheel spreads nice and evenly and there's little excess to clean up or put the thing off balance.

The next time I do one I'll take pics and post them. Work is getting quieter now so I should get chance fairly soon.

polyesterpig

#29 Post by polyesterpig »

Please count me in if you make some. I would really like 3 if possible. It really scares me to go deep in the desert sometimes.

MX Quad Dad

#30 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (Wayne Schofield @ Oct 31 2009, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, it's lathe work. Not difficult but time-consuming, which is something I don't have much of with work commitments and living on my own with five kids!

I made a plastic tool to hold the magnets concentric in the lathe, even if the flywheel is broken.

The tool is held in the chuck and the flywheel bolts to it. There is a guide diameter so you know how far to machine down.

When the magnet is parted off the rest of the flywheel the front face of it needs to be squared up. To do that I machined a tapered recess in my plastic tool and bolt a tapered steel plug into it, spreading the plastic tool and gripping the magnet ring with even force and a soft face from the inside, so the magnet doesn't get damaged by being 'gripped' by a chuck.

I machine the magnet ring with a very shallow taper, two degrees, across the OD so that it self-centres and will slide into the new flywheel without scraping off the epoxy that is there to bond it together. It means a small bead of epoxy round the inside rim of the flywheel spreads nice and evenly and there's little excess to clean up or put the thing off balance.

The next time I do one I'll take pics and post them. Work is getting quieter now so I should get chance fairly soon.

Dose it have to be a one peice magnet??? or could you glue segments inplace of the onepeice?