Leaky Checkball Solution?

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

#1 Post by cannondale27 »

claas900

#2 Post by claas900 »

OMG Dave and I where just talking about this today.

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Halloween is coming and the spirits must be out blink.gif

Kuma

#4 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Oct 6 2009, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So where would you put this on the 'dale? if it is between the frame outlet and the motor it would get pretty hot from the exhaust.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Wouldn't work with any of the exhausts that are close. 03 stock header has alot of clearance. Otherwise would need to run to side and back to frame.

Kuma

#6 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Oct 7 2009, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wouldnt work with any of the exhausts that are close.03 stock header has alot of clearance.Otherwise would need to run to side and back to frame.

I found that I have a checkball problem. I doubt that it leaks fast enough to be a problem on a riding weekend, more of a storage problem. Are there any issues with storing the ATV on it's tail?
the only thing I can think of would be the battery, would there be a problem with a sealed battery?

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

No problem storing it on grabbar.Not sure with leaky checkball though.May fill cylinder sooner in that case.

I talked to the guy and he said these are normally open valves so when tether is pulled it closes electrically.Thats a issue since it would eventually kill battery when closed and the valve creates its own heat while closed.On a sled it doesnt matter since its just the vent line being closed off for when you roll it over.Flip it back upright and install tether and good to go.Its not meant for long term storage.He can get normally closed ones but is justifiably worried about relying on electrical for oil flow.I think a ideal solution would be a manual tether valve with a LED indicator.Still would have to remember to turn it on though.

I wonder if enough suction is created to overcome a simple loop in the feed line?If you made the loop as high as frame a airgap would be created everytime motor is shut off and prevent gravity flow.

Kuma

#8 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Oct 8 2009, 05:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No problem storing it on grabbar.Not sure with leaky checkball though.May fill cylinder sooner in that case.

I talked to the guy and he said these are normally open valves so when tether is pulled it closes electrically.Thats a issue since it would eventually kill battery when closed and the valve creates its own heat while closed.On a sled it doesnt matter since its just the vent line being closed off for when you roll it over.Flip it back upright and install tether and good to go.Its not meant for long term storage.He can get normally closed ones but is justifiably worried about relying on electrical for oil flow.I think a ideal solution would be a manual tether valve with a LED indicator.Still would have to remember to turn it on though.

I wonder if enough suction is created to overcome a simple loop in the feed line?If you made the loop as high as frame a airgap would be created everytime motor is shut off and prevent gravity flow.

Dave (boomer) came up with a simple manual shutoff valve, the issue would be just to remember that it is closed. It might be possible to have a switch incorporated into the valve to cut power to the ignition as a reminder that the switch is closed.

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

That would do it.