Another Dual Exhaust

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
wistech

#11 Post by wistech »

One thing that I did on Neils big bore headers was use the stock studs and grind down the shoulders of the 12 point stock nuts. I think some of the 12 point nuts were actually smaller than others. I think when it came down to it I prefered not to have to deal with the chance of stripping out the allen head that had been in there a while. Plus install was a snap as you dont have to align the bolts.

wistech

#12 Post by wistech »

If you are going with 1 3/8 out of the head you know its such a tight fit you can just press the header pipes in and not even clamp them .I did that on a prototype with just little sealer and it never leaked. I made a small eyelet on the top exhaust flange bolts and made a spring hook deal just for extra security but after a while I didnt even reinstall the spring. The only issue I had with the 1 3/8 headpipe is not very impressive dyno results so on later headers I went back to 1/8" smaller tube coming out to the bend.

Kuma

#13 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Nov 1 2009, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you are going with 1 3/8 out of the head you know its such a tight fit you can just press the header pipes in and not even clamp them .I did that on a prototype with just little sealer and it never leaked. I made a small eyelet on the top exhaust flange bolts and made a spring hook deal just for extra security but after a while I didnt even reinstall the spring. The only issue I had with the 1 3/8 headpipe is not very impressive dyno results so on later headers I went back to 1/8" smaller tube coming out to the bend.

With this information I'm back on the fence, maybe I will go with the stock size making the first bend and work my way up from there.
I appreciate the input.

wistech

#14 Post by wistech »

Where were you getting your stainless from? I found Globalspec had the best prices on the mandrel bent tube and Burns had good prices on the straight stuff. Ive been looking everywhere for titanium but the best deals are just takeoff parts off streetbikes.

Kuma

#15 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Nov 1 2009, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where were you getting your stainless from? I found Globalspec had the best prices on the mandrel bent tube and Burns had good prices on the straight stuff. Ive been looking everywhere for titanium but the best deals are just takeoff parts off streetbikes.

I bought the bends from Power Pros, local to me. They make thier own systems but they also make systems with other names, I believe they built the Trinity systems. Definatly was a time consuming process.

kdeal

#16 Post by kdeal »

Kuma,

I've got another idea for you bolts/flange. If you want to talk about it give me a call.

Ken

Dachshund

#17 Post by Dachshund »

Ever get this finished?

Kuma

#18 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (Dachshund @ Feb 23 2010, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ever get this finished?

Haven't had much time, been slammed at work and at this time the motor is in on the bench with the crank sitting at work waiting on me to ship to Timbo wacko.gif

When I do have time I'm going riding, Taking the Banshee and the 500 out to Glamis this weekend tongue.gif

Dachshund

#19 Post by Dachshund »

Is that tubing 20 gauge(.035)? I'm thinking of giving them a call to see if they will make and ship some bends for me.

Kuma

#20 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (Dachshund @ Feb 23 2010, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is that tubing 20 gauge(.035)? I'm thinking of giving them a call to see if they will make and ship some bends for me.

I hadn't checked the thickness, it's what they use for all of there exhaust systems.
I think it's 1/16" thick, each size slips into the next size up fairly snug.