Dual Exhaust

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cdsracer

#1 Post by cdsracer »

Gauging interest before diving into an expensive project:

I talked with an exhaust fabrication shop in California about producing some dual header pipes for us based on a prototype that we created. The prototype uses stock exhaust tubing size at the head and telescopes to a two inch exit on each side of the subframe. It utilizes the stock flange and attaches the same way as a stock header. It also allows for use of the Ohlins rear shock. It is a tight fit in this location, but it goes under the reservoir and over the chain roller using very mild bends. The brake line banjo has to be flipped at the master to provide adequate clearance. The oil lines on the right side of the frame have to be dressed and wrapped to protect from heat. The prototype was made using mild steel, uncoated and was dyno????????d with a ported high compression 450. We then ran it at St. Anthony????????s for almost two days before the wristpin snapped and put the quad back on the trailer. Amazingly, the heat coming from the exhaust didn????????t burn, melt or discolor the shockwear on the rear shock even with the long hillclimbs at the dunes. I didn????????t have a chance to compare the header with a single on the same bike before it broke. I also don????????t have a dyno sheet to post because I ran this on a different dyno than I am usually on and I don????????t want to post a number without proof. It did however outpace my 55HP pump gas 460 and everything else we pitted against it.

Updated:
If there is enough interest, here is what is available: The shop can produce mandrel bent (wrinkle free) stainless steel dual headers with a flange in stainless steel TIG welded for $480.00

These can be used with any exhaust can that you like, we used the Supertrapp stainless cans with 2??????? inlets because they are durable and mount up nicely (not included).

I plan to do a dyno comparison with this exhaust vs. others after I get some engine work completed.

The minimum order quantity is 25 headers. I want several of these for myself, but I can????????t spend that kind of money without some commitment from others who want the same thing. I would have to take some deposits. Before I get any deeper with this, let me know if you are interested, the shop can produce these fairly quickly.

I????????ll post some pics of the prototype as soon as I can.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Really I would like to get in but you have do a dyno comparison between production duals and a Ti exhaust on same quad same dyno same day.Show results and sign me up if worth it.Sorry but some real junk has been made in exhausts.Cant take risk.

Dachshund

#3 Post by Dachshund »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Nov 5 2009, 01:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really I would like to get in but you have do a dyno comparison between production duals and a Ti exhaust on same quad same dyno same day.Show results and sign me up if worth it.Sorry but some real junk has been made in exhausts.Cant take risk.

Ditto.

cdsracer

#4 Post by cdsracer »

Point taken, I get it. I will do a head to head dyno comparo with a few different exhausts before I proceed that way we can all see the power difference.

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

Can you route it around the fuel tank without modding the tank ? Under full compresion (spring removed from shock ) my duals would hit the chain so I had to heat up the tank to make it symetrical . it looked better as well but was a little extra work. Making the exhaust mounts the same as the Ti muffler is very appealing to those who already have TI exhausts. Less parts and mounts to buy.