YTZ14S-BS battery

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
wayneschofield

#1 Post by wayneschofield »

Anyone tried one?
They have almost twice the CCA as the YTX9-BS and are just 0.9kg heavier and 5mm taller....

hartracing3478

#2 Post by hartracing3478 »

Too bad optima doesnt make a battery small enough for us

Canniboomer

#3 Post by Canniboomer »

We have all wasted a fortune on batteries by now guys. I spotted that YTZ14S several years ago and sold many while the price was still down near $100. Yes very powerful compared to the earlier tech wet acid, and there are clear advantages to going with the AGM. But in looking back at that specific battery, they still have not handled the Cannondale vibration well enough overall. Not bad, but not good enough, and many were installed with tighter pressure into the stock tray. And then the higher and higher cost to replace?, while Yuasa has really jacked up the prices..I think they retail like $150-ish by now?

Anyway, I just very recently discovered probably the best battery in the world for our machines. A few guys in the Cannondale universe have probably already been using it, but I suspect they never post about battery problems. I had overlooked it a couple of years ago, after see it named as an X-series and a number 9, and listed at only 120cca -- so of course, it appears in any search as just another battery exactly equal to our stock battery?

But NO!....this hummer is NOT the stock battery. First of all, it is indeed a pre-charged AGM and not a user-poured wet acid. Secondly, the US maker Deka here is so quiet and conservative, and gave it a rating only to match Yuasa at 120cca. I visited my distributor warehouse last month, and we just grabbed one that had been on the shelf for 4 months,... the Midtronics analyzer said 224cca. I asked them wazzup? and the fella mentioned how they under-rate the batteries. He then showed me the same whopping difference on an auto sized battery -- just at random, and again it was sitting there with nearly twice the ccas of what was printed on the label.

Wayne I had been intending to post a blurb for this battery,... and not introducing here in your thread,....but, the timing is right so I'll continue, and there is plenty more to say:

- Same size as stock,...so it fits the stock tray without shimming and dremeling. The 14Z and Chinese knock-offs vary to 5mm taller and up to a troublesome 3mm longer.
- Heavier duty casing.
- Massive molded lead lug posts that extend deeply with unique inner cross bracing.
- Built specifically for highest vibration resistance without compromise.
- Stainless sems bolts that lock firmly, and are plenty long enough!...use 10mm hex or #3 phillips
- Posts are double-tapped!, yep 6mm side terminals also, for easy addition of a convenience charger, helmet light, or combo accessory pigtail.
- Brass D-spacers for use of the side terminals,... optional
- 50,000 cycle paint-shaker tested for Harley Davidson, and passed!...Harley approved and being used now by Harley OEM.
- Funny, but it comes in a rather plain and cheesy cheap cardboard carton,...and would appear as a generic import on the shelf, but inside, this battery is a sleeper.
- Price?...........unbelievable cheap price? How?, we don't care how.....but this one is Very proudly made in the USA.

$ 69, in stock -- That's far less than the Yuasa stocker!?, and less than most knock-offs.
shipping $10 in USA, and $42 to the UK...with room in the carton for other misc parts.

MyCannibal

#4 Post by MyCannibal »

WOW!..Very good find Dave!..and I like the "with room in the carton for other miscellaneous parts" comment too...great marketing!..keep up the great work Dave.

Dachshund

#5 Post by Dachshund »

Boomer told me about these about a week ago. Great find as I am running the Odyssey PC310 at double the cost. It will be a great comparison between the two. I have only 20 hours on the Odyssey but I am happy with it so far.

2000ex

#6 Post by 2000ex »

What is the factory warranty on these suckers?

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

I am in for one for sure!Well done sir!

Canniboomer

#8 Post by Canniboomer »

Good question,......
You can get them replaced within the first 3 months for a failure, and then pro-rated from then up to 12 months.

Deka says that all these types of batteries are subject to sulfation damage from long periods of non-usage or non-charging. So for machines that are used year round, or low-current trickle maintained?,... they say these can last 3 to 5 years. For guys that ride 3 months and park it?....well the battery can still sulfate and fail just like other batteries.
Deka expects that we use "a good constant potential, temperature-compensated, voltage-regulated charger".... and says that
"Constant current chargers should never be used"..... that shouild be general practice for any small battery of any brand. My distributor won't be asking for proof of this n that, and you would have to cough up the postage during the 12-month period for any warranty replacement.

wayneschofield

#9 Post by wayneschofield »

Good find. No worries on hi-jacking the thread.

I've used a 'Dale battery tray in my car, and it currently has the usual YTX9-BS in it but it does struggle a little cranking a 1340cc engine with 12.5:1 and no decomp system.

I did some searching for a battery with the same base dimensions but with a high CCA and came up with a YTX14H-BS, at 240CCA but it is an inch or so taller than the YTX9 (so it wouldn't fit the 'Dale).

I was happy with that choice so I asked my battery dealer to get me one for my car. Anyways, he came up with the YTZ14-BS instead, at just a little less CCA than the YTX14H, but with a shorter hight. That's what made me think it would do for the quad.

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

The Z series doesn't last long at all in Cannondale. Had 2 and gave up and went back to stock. Double life of the Z. I think to get the amps the plates are closer together in the Z series = shorting out from jumps and vibration + very expensive.