Build a Low Power 'Dale

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
NRath

#11 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Feb 9 2010, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes I think I have what you need.Free too!

Man, that's a tough deal. I don't know. Hmmmm. Man, what to do....

I guess I'll bite! I'll call you in a few days, maybe the weekend.

Thanks!

wayneschofield

#12 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (NRath @ Feb 11 2010, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am tearing into the motor, but I'm thinking minimally intrusive changes to make it easier to up the ante a little or go back to full stock.

What do you guys think about just corking up the HMF? Would there be some ill effects I'm not thinking of? Suzuki did it with the LT50, but they did it at the cylinder/header connection. Would it be better to restrict the intake side? I'm just thinking all the extra back pressure of an exhaust restriction could cause some problems somehow.

I guess it would be fairly easy to use a smaller throttle body, or perhaps sleeve down a stock one and use a smaller plate in it. That way the throttle would be less jumpy off the bottom.

You might find that the exhaust temp gets too high if you bung it up, you don't want distorted seats and guides dropping out... They aren't like a two-smoker of course...

MX Quad Dad

#13 Post by MX Quad Dad »

next sunday there will be 43 cars at Datona speedway with restrictor plates and they stay together for 500 miles. I would say there are some other changes as well.

I was thinking maybe have a daul cyclone type insert to slip inbetween the throtle body and inake

cannondale27

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

Why not just put a 300ex or blaster motor in there?Would be pretty easy and when ready for the big motor just switch.

UpsMan

#15 Post by UpsMan »

I think you are nuts to try to tame down your cannondale for the kids. I just can't see this working out very well. Whore yourself out or whatever you have to do, but get them a blaster or something.....

wayneschofield

#16 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (MX Quad Dad @ Feb 12 2010, 01:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
next sunday there will be 43 cars at Datona speedway with restrictor plates and they stay together for 500 miles.

Surely just on the intake, not the exhaust....

I do many cars with intake restrictors, WRC, British GT etc. It's amazing how much power they can give through two little holes..... Never seen anything with an exhaust restrictor so far... Those V8s have enough trouble keeping exhaust gaskets in place with stock pipes...

wayneschofield

#17 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (UpsMan @ Feb 12 2010, 05:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you are nuts to try to tame down your cannondale for the kids. I just can't see this working out very well. Whore yourself out or whatever you have to do, but get them a blaster or something.....

I have to admit, the girls and my youngest lad have 250 sportrax Hondas and they just run and run with hardly any work. Rubber bushes in the suspension and shaft drive is just great for low hassle running.

MX Quad Dad

#18 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I would say phisical size of the machine in just as important as power output, for safety and to not discorage kids. most of our friends and relitives started out with the bigger machines so they wouldn't have to update and the kids lost intrest and one got hurt. Of coarse they also bought a family helment that was way to big for the kids.

my kids started out on a 50 then a 90. the next one was a little bit of a step up.

Kuma

#19 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (MX Quad Dad @ Feb 12 2010, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would say phisical size of the machine in just as important as power output, for safety and to not discorage kids. most of our friends and relitives started out with the bigger machines so they wouldn't have to update and the kids lost intrest and one got hurt. Of coarse they also bought a family helment that was way to big for the kids.

my kids started out on a 50 then a 90. the next one was a little bit of a step up.

What he said... my son started a 3 on a 50, i got my exersize with a strap on the back and running behind just to make sure he didn't run into anything. then he was on his own. progressed to an 80 then blaster and now he is riding a ported 250R.
You are better off getting a good deal on a smaller quad that you can sell down the road with no loss.

NRath

#20 Post by NRath »

The progression, I know all about it... Hard for me to believe this was taken 8-1/2 years ago!

So the kids have done alot of growing. My daughter had just started riding the 100 when the pic was taken, as did the little guy on the 50. He's been on a 90 for a couple years. She's 13 and 5'9", so I really can't see the sense in buying her an intermediate. If money were no object, maybe, but only because of the power deal. She's big enough and capable of handling the full size. She'll be nervous in the woods, though, for sure! hte biggest challenge will be learning to shift gears.

Funny, I watched all 4 races this weekend and didn't conclude corking the intake to probably be the best way! DUHHH! Looks like I probably will go with a "restrictor plate" in the airbox and injection tweaking.