Build a Low Power 'Dale

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
MX Quad Dad

#31 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Heck if she's not one you have to keep telling to slow-down you should not have a problem as far as rev limiting. Unless you think she might freeze and hold the throttle pinned, and I have seen what had happened to a fifteen year old girl on a sled with the throttle pinned and a block milk house a short distance in front of her.

NRath

#32 Post by NRath »

I think limiting revs is as much for my own piece of mind as anything!

A block wall and a sled, I'm guessing wall one, but the sled made it through! Hope the rider was okay!

MX Quad Dad

#33 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (NRath @ Feb 26 2010, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think limiting revs is as much for my own piece of mind as anything!

A block wall and a sled, I'm guessing wall one, but the sled made it through! Hope the rider was okay!

well this happened a while ago, sled weren't as fast then nor did they had the traction. She ended up with a broke leg but the sled was totaled. if I remember correctly the sled was only a week or two old. this was one of those cement block with the stone look on the outside not the cinder block they use now. there wasn't hardly a mark on the milk house.

I know what you mean about the piece of mind. Its easy to do or undo and it doesn't cost anything so, why not

WhiteZee

#34 Post by WhiteZee »

it seems like every thread i take interest in is a dead end lol. did you end up getting it to work well with a restrictor plate?

cannondale27

#35 Post by cannondale27 »

This is a very interesting thread.I have alot of respect for the way MX quad dad has raised his kids up after meeting them for a few years now.The rider/driver point is a very important one.I am in same boat next year with my oldest daughter and Timbo has already gotten there with his son this year.I believe all 3 of us have not wishy washed our kids into thinking that they are invincible and cant get hurt riding a quad.Make a point of showing them what happens when it hits the fan.A bit of fear/respect is a good thing.Hard part is teaching that without any serious injuries or losing fun of sport but it must be teached.We all know that Timbo is one of the most dedicated Dalers out there and he chose to put his son TJ on a Blaster just for the in between year or two between minis and full size only because of his sons size.If he were bigger physically he would be on a Dale because he has already learned respect for power and speed.You will know when that has been learned by observation and the look in there eyes and tone of thier voice.Then its a parents job to ensure they dont forget.

WhiteZee what I am saying is teach kid,wife or whomever respect for speed and just as important make sure they physically can handle the quad and this is a non-issue.If they dont have respect for anything over walking speed and they cant physically maneuver quad in a bad situation there is nothing that can be done to limit the power enough.

WhiteZee

#36 Post by WhiteZee »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Sep 16 2010, 07:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a very interesting thread.I have alot of respect for the way MX quad dad has raised his kids up after meeting them for a few years now.The rider/driver point is a very important one.I am in same boat next year with my oldest daughter and Timbo has already gotten there with his son this year.I believe all 3 of us have not wishy washed our kids into thinking that they are invincible and cant get hurt riding a quad.Make a point of showing them what happens when it hits the fan.A bit of fear/respect is a good thing.Hard part is teaching that without any serious injuries or losing fun of sport but it must be teached.We all know that Timbo is one of the most dedicated Dalers out there and he chose to put his son TJ on a Blaster just for the in between year or two between minis and full size only because of his sons size.If he were bigger physically he would be on a Dale because he has already learned respect for power and speed.You will know when that has been learned by observation and the look in there eyes and tone of thier voice.Then its a parents job to ensure they dont forget.

WhiteZee what I am saying is teach kid,wife or whomever respect for speed and just as important make sure they physically can handle the quad and this is a non-issue.If they dont have respect for anything over walking speed and they cant physically maneuver quad in a bad situation there is nothing that can be done to limit the power enough.

I agree 100%, but i was more interested in if he was able to get the dale running good with the restrictor plate.

i really like mx dads riders vs drivers comment.

jesshamner

#37 Post by jesshamner »

So what you're saying, Whitezee, is that you can't handle the power of the cannondale and you need to tone it down a little?

SlOoT

#38 Post by SlOoT »

My little brother is 15 years old and he rides a Cannondale Cannibal (mx built, moto frond-end, etc.).

His quad has the engine I ran previous year. All stock with mild port and podfilter. Thing is faster then the average quad on the track. He rides it like a pro, but still very controlled and he respects the power it has. He proves that a "small child" can ride a machine like a Cannondale.

MX Quad Dad

#39 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Sep 16 2010, 07:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks steve, I am very proud of my kids and I do have one rider and one driver as far as quads are concerned but, put my daughter on the four legged horse power and the roll is reversed.

I was wondering if many people got my point about rider/driver

its been three years since I meet TJ and if he hasn't grown much than I would agree 100% with what tim did, mostly because of my opinon that TJ was going to be a Rider and in that case you dont want a heavy quad for a light rider if you want thier riding abilty to improve at a quick and safe rate

WhiteZee

#40 Post by WhiteZee »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Sep 16 2010, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So what you're saying, Whitezee, is that you can't handle the power of the cannondale and you need to tone it down a little?

tongue.gif